Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
How Long do you keep spices? >

How Long do you keep spices?

How Long do you keep spices?

Old 10-31-2017, 02:45 AM

Check for bugs in those spices. You wouldn't think insects would eat a pure spice, but I found plenty in my mom's spices. Watch that you close the opening after use as this is how the bugs get in there in those metal containers in the first place.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:34 AM

It depends on the spice...but generally I only keep them 12 to 18 months. I don’t buy large containers like at Sam’s or Costco because it really isn’t a value if you need to replace them.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:21 AM
mac

I just read an article on Taste of Home and they said to buy your spices at the Dollar Store. That way you can toss them after a year and not have too much money invested in them.

The one question I have is how long have they kept them?
Old 10-31-2017, 06:37 AM

Most containers of spices and herbs are not 100%. Most have fillers. Just like some pre ground coffee, a lot of filler like pecan shells are mixed in the coffee.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Check for bugs in those spices. You wouldn't think insects would eat a pure spice, but I found plenty in my mom's spices. Watch that you close the opening after use as this is how the bugs get in there in those metal containers in the first place.
Paprika is one that is prone to getting bugs, and they are tiny, tiny, tiny red dots that look just like the paprika (except they move if you look closely). Keep paprika in the freezer.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:48 PM
Power Poster

I have years old spiices, when I use them the foods taste the same. The ones I use regularly are replaced much faster.

As for baking powder, put some into some milk, if it fizzes it is still good. I keep that longer than most on here.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I have years old spiices, when I use them the foods taste the same. The ones I use regularly are replaced much faster.

As for baking powder, put some into some milk, if it fizzes it is still good. I keep that longer than most on here.
Good tip about baking powder, thanks!
Old 11-03-2017, 05:16 AM

I get rid, or use up most of them within a year. This is a good time of year to replace them, as all of the stores put seasonings on sale for holiday baking. Just be sure that what you are buying is fresh. I like to buy them in the bulk section because our store replaces them regularly. I save the little bottles that I had from the chain grocery store to store them in. However, I am a little lazy about refilling them and the spices end up in baggies until I get to it.

~ C
Old 11-05-2017, 07:07 PM

I have read that spices never go bad unlless they get bugs in them. They can get hard from moisture. They do lose their strength though so you will have to use more when using them.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:37 AM

Chilie powder and sage are two spices you want to check. If there is "clumping" there are bugs.