Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
If it cant be cooked in an electric fry pan >

If it cant be cooked in an electric fry pan

If it cant be cooked in an electric fry pan

Old 08-08-2016, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
Many years ago, I used to make something called SOS (sh_t on a shingle). Some people refer to these as porcupine balls. Mix rice and hamburger together. Form meatballs. Brown and cook until done. Make a milk gravy. Serve over biscuits or toast. You can probably find a more thorough recipe for this online. Swiss steak is also something I used to fix in an electric skillet. I haven't used one of these in years, but they are very handy.
That is similar to what we called Porcupine Balls. Mix Meat, egg and precooked rice, form large balls and bake in shallow pan. Makes like individual meat loaves. Similar to the stuffing in green peppers.
Our SOS (also known as Dried Beef Gravy) was made using dried beef. Rinse a jar of dried beef to remove a lot of the salt, tear it up into small pieces, brown it in a little olive oil and butter. Add milk & thicken with flour. Serve over toast or biscuits.
We also made Hamburg Gravy the same way but it gets a little Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet added, so its brown. We ate that over fried potatoes or "Bread Potatoes."
Bread Potatoes are made using any kind of leftover potatoes (fried, mashed, scalloped). Add stale torn up bread or bread cubes. In a mug or small bowl, combine two eggs and some milk and pour over bread and potatoes. Cover and let it simmer on low to combine flavors, then remove lid and stir- turning with a spatula until the mixture dries out and browns. Be careful of steam when you remove the lid. You can add whatever else you want like saute'd onions, bacon bits, celery, etc, etc. (I've even cut up hot dogs, ham, or leftover roast in it before.) Its a replacement for stuffing or good served with gravy as a main course. Serve with some fresh sliced tomatoes if you have them. Yum. You can use any kind of milk and more eggs if you like. Personally, I sometimes use diluted canned milk (Pet or Carnation) but any kind of milk is fine. I don't have an actual recipe. Just use about half as much bread as potatoes, and season to taste, and enough egg and milk mixture to moisten it, but don't make it soupy. I add Lowry's season salt- but again, its preference.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:39 AM

Just Jan, Your bread potatoes sound good. I'm going to try making them. I meant to mention in my first post that Iused minute rice in my meatballs. Very important.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by puma View Post
I need the recipes for a boat. I cannot cook for hours & can only use one electrical item at a time or the circuits will pop or I burn out the electric cord.
How long are you on that " boat" ? How about just cold sandwiches, salads...or pre cooked foods, then just reheated in electric frypan. Or, dock that puppy at the nearest restaurant dock and enjoy!
Old 08-12-2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
Chicken or chops with gravy

brown your meat
add a can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender. 15 - 20 minutes

serve over rice or biscuits

i had not tried this but you could try adding water and rice an cook all together
This is an excellent easy one-pot recipe because you can vary it by changing the kind of cream-of soup. Golden mushroom gives a tomato-y flavor.French onion soup gives it an entirely different flavor. Mushroom steak sauce can also be used for enhancing the gravy. Another way to change the flavor is by using different dried herbs , spices, or ethnic seasonings. A small collection of those wouldn't take so much room to store. This can also be used over a baked potato.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:49 PM

we go on vacation 2 weeks. coldcuts are lunch. like to put a protein on the salads. cant keep refrigerated items that long. I have 1 college sized refrigerator to work with.