Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Jello, Cake, and More >

Jello, Cake, and More

Jello, Cake, and More

Old 09-28-2014, 09:56 AM

Default Jello, Cake, and More

Years ago, I was served a dessert made with chunks of cake mixed up into a jello/whipped cream/fruit concoction. If I had any idea what it was called, I'd search for the recipe. Does this type of combination sound familiar to anyone? How about a name and/or recipe?
Old 09-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

The combination of cake, jello, pudding, whipped cream can be a trifle. I do my trifle with lady fingers or cake, custard, jelly or thickened fruit in layers and then top with whipping cram.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:03 AM

Google - jello trifle
Basically it is cake cubes (or torn) drizzled with jello (before it is set) in layers with one or two packages pudding and canned or fresh fruit. Topped with whipped topping
Amazing Jello Trifle is the first one that came up for me
Old 09-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like a Lutheran Church supper dish to me
peace
Old 09-29-2014, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang View Post
Years ago, I was served a dessert made with chunks of cake mixed up into a jello/whipped cream/fruit concoction. If I had any idea what it was called, I'd search for the recipe. Does this type of combination sound familiar to anyone? How about a name and/or recipe?
It's called trifle.
Ambrosia is a sort - of trifle, minus the cake. You generally mix layers of fruit, cake and jelly,custard or yoghurt into a bowl and chill overnight. It is nice if you add some liquor to it as well. It is served with cream or icecream or just alone.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:44 AM

my favorite jello trifle is ; in a deep bowl or trifle dish, layer angel food cake cubes - soft set raspberry jello - frozen raspberries - cool whip or whipped cream. repeat. 3 layers if possible, ending with whipped topping garnished with a few berries. chill for several hours before serving. of course any fruit, fresh or frozen, in combo with a complementary jello will work. A very pretty party worthy dessert. tip*** stir the fresh peaches and pears into the jello to prevent browning.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

This is off the wall but one of my favorite desserts is Angel food cake slice and spread whipped cream cheese or if you can spread room temp cream cheese on it. Yum!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:54 AM

My favorite Potluck dish is- is one container each, of cottage cheese, cool whip, and sour cream, blend together, add 1 can of fruit (drained) mix again, then sprinkle 1 small box of jello dry over the top. Mix again, and put in refrigerator for one hour. We call it "Foam".
Old 09-29-2014, 05:44 PM

The Trifle sounds perfect for what you are wanting. I also have a 2nd day cake that is easy and similar. Just tear cake pieces and layer in a pan. Pour Pudding--instant of course, or spoon almost set Jello over the top. Then layer drained fruit then Cool Whip. Chill, serve and enjoy!! Easy, cheap, delicious!! Mariah
Old 09-30-2014, 08:49 AM

Sounds like a trifle to me. My favorite is cut up chunks of angel food cake, cherry pie filling, vanilla pudding and cool whip in layers. Absolutely divine !!!