Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Looking for authentic Frijoles (refried beans) recipe >

Looking for authentic Frijoles (refried beans) recipe

Looking for authentic Frijoles (refried beans) recipe

Old 05-29-2010, 03:51 PM

I have tried numerous times to make refried beans (pintos) but they just aren't like the ones I get at my favorite mexican restaurant.
Anyone here that makes authentic mexican food?
Old 05-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Well, they are traditionally made with lard, without it? just doesn't taste the same LOL Same with home made tortillas :wink:
Old 05-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

First you boil the beans and save the water that you boil them in . Then I use regular cooking oil, pour the beans and some of the water that you boiled them in into the skillet with cooking oil , heat up and then mash ... Is that what you are looking for .

The canned beans don't taste as good as if you boil them yourself :wink:

Oh and after you are done mashing ( I use a hand potato masher) you can put cheese on top :thumbup:
Old 05-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Banned

If you want real authentic I know where some mexicans are. :lol: :lol:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-75559.jpe  
Old 05-29-2010, 05:06 PM

My friend , Margarita, always makes them when she visits at my house. She boils the beans with salt and then fries them in lard at her house or uses canola oil at my house. She says to make sure the lard/oil is hot before putting the beans and pot juice in. She mashes with the back of a large cooking spoon. I have watched her do this many times but my beans are never as good as her's. I keep any leftovers in the freezer if she makes them.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:41 PM

SIL adds a smidge of sugar also. She makes the best refried beans!! But, she IS from El Salvador! :-)
Old 05-29-2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
Too funny Marsye. I live in So. CA so I know where some are too...never thought to ask them if they could teach me to make frijoles. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-29-2010, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
My friend , Margarita, always makes them when she visits at my house. She boils the beans with salt and then fries them in lard at her house or uses canola oil at my house. She says to make sure the lard/oil is hot before putting the beans and pot juice in. She mashes with the back of a large cooking spoon. I have watched her do this many times but my beans are never as good as her's. I keep any leftovers in the freezer if she makes them.
I read once that if you salt the beans while they boil the skins will be tough...must not be true. Does she soak the beans before cooking them?
Old 05-30-2010, 02:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by marsye
Too funny Marsye. I live in So. CA so I know where some are too...never thought to ask them if they could teach me to make frijoles. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Honesty.....I used to live in El Paso on the border. I worked in a restaurant in Juarez with mexicans teaching them how to cook American food like hamburgers, fries, hot dogs, etc. (long story, my brother was married to one) and real mexican food is nothing like what he see here in the US. Oh no, now I'm craving a taco. .......oh be sure and add a little ground cumin to your mexican dishes....its the secret ;)
Old 05-30-2010, 06:42 AM

I had heard that the skins would be tough if the salt is added too soon too. Margarita cooks them for about an hour before putting in the salt. She doesn't soak the beans first.