Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Looking for Blue Ribbon Cake Recipes >

Looking for Blue Ribbon Cake Recipes

Looking for Blue Ribbon Cake Recipes

Old 09-18-2023, 07:17 PM

Good luck we'll keep our fingers crossed for you.
Old 09-19-2023, 03:24 AM

Good Luck today!!
Old 09-19-2023, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
Good Luck today!!
Thank you!!!

So, I have to submit my cake today, by 8PM. I got up early and put most of the cake together and now it's chilling in the fridge. I just have to add some decor, cut it in half for the presentation and cut a smaller slice to put on a small plate.

It's a half hour of driving on a windy road, so hopefully, I won't have a smashed up cake by the time that I get there. My dau lives right next to the fairgrounds, so I may do the final prep and any touching up at her house and just walk the cake over.

I took pix during the final essembly. I'll try to crop and post them here today, or tomorrow with some explanations on what I've done. The judging is at 9AM tomorrow, but I won't know if I have won anything until the fair opens on Friday. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:22 AM

Well...I entered it. The judging was yesterday, but I won't know anything until the fair opens tomorrow. The cake came out OK...not fabulous looking, but we all thought that it tasted great. It got a little beat up bringing it down there. I kept the air conditioner on full blast all the way down to my dau's house. I then had to cut it in half and decorate it, pack it up and bring it to the fairgrounds. I was having an arthritic flare up that day, so I drove it over and hobbled to the back of the fairgrounds to hand it over. I was in so much pain just doing that. The frosting was slightly damaged, but nothing serious. I then went back to my dau's house, collapsed in a chair and then spent the night. I also slept all day yesterday at my house. I'm feeling much better today.

I took some pictures of the process of putting it together for all of you. I'll post them today.
Old 09-21-2023, 02:59 PM

Here's a step-by-step of what I did to make this cake:

I baked 2 layers of Gold Cake, but changed the vanilla out to lemon juice and added lemon zest. Note that I cut my cake board in half and rested the cake on both halves, with a space in the middle. This is because the fair only wanted 1/2 cake, + a slice on a separate plate. Having that gap on the cake boards made it easy to cut in half and move half to another plate.

Each layer was brushed with lemon syrup and also lemon juice for added flavor.

Lemon curd was used as a filler in the center.

I used a cream cheese frosting to which I added lemon zest, juice and extract.

The cake was crumb coated and put in the fridge for at least a half an hour.

I then added another layer of frosting and decorated it by spinning it on the cake turntable, while pressing gently against the cake with a dinner fork. You can see some thin, or shady spots in the pic, but honestly, you could not see that in person. It looked pretty good! It then went back into the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up.

I had some lemon leaves so I frosted them (a little too heavily) with sugar and made a couple of lemon peel roses.

The cake made the journey down the hill to my dau's house, where I cut the cake and put it on these lovely plates from the Dollar Store. It's no big deal if I don't get them back, but I do like them.

I had to put plastic wrap over the cake, which damaged the frosting design a little, but otherwise, it came through OK. I don't know how well the frosting held up sitting in the home arts building, waiting to be judged. I hope that it didn't melt too much.

I'm sorry, but I forgot to take a pic of the finished cake entry...augh! I completely forgot. I was so worried that I would be late entering it. There were a lot of entries this year. I was surprised! My kids said that they had been advertising on the local radio station to get more people to enter, so I guess that was a success. I did not see how many cakes were entered, but I'm glad that I didn't go for the cookie category. There were tons and tons of cookies. I'll know how I did tomorrow and let you all know...for better, or worse.
Attached Thumbnails 20230919_063404s.jpg   20230919_063545s.jpg   20230919_064358s.jpg   20230919_071021s.jpg   20230919_071929s.jpg  

Old 09-21-2023, 03:01 PM

Here's more pix
Attached Thumbnails 20230919_074516s.jpg   20230919_074522s.jpg   20230919_074746s.jpg   20230919_075258s.jpg  
Old 09-22-2023, 02:48 AM

Those pictures are luscious! Love the fork/spin and decorating! I would choose your lemon dessert.
Old 09-22-2023, 04:13 PM

And the winner is..........ME!!!

Best of Division!

Thank you for everyone's tips and following along with this project.
Old 09-22-2023, 04:14 PM

I'll send over a pic of the purple ribbon, just as soon as I can get it off of my DH's phone.
Old 09-22-2023, 05:49 PM

Way to go Tropit!!!! Your pictures are great, too. Thank you for the step by step... I am so excited for you!