Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
looking for recipe for  Spanish Bar Cake >

looking for recipe for Spanish Bar Cake

looking for recipe for Spanish Bar Cake

Old 12-02-2011, 02:33 PM

My aunt still makes tomato soup cake and she still doesn't tell ing. til the end
Old 12-02-2011, 05:22 PM

Oh, this brings back such memories of home. This was a special treat because we didn't always get an opportunity to shop at A & P. It was Big Apple for us. Am I aging myself or what ? (LOL)
Old 12-03-2011, 02:01 PM

OMG Spanish Bar sold at A&P. Haven't thought of it in decades. LOVED it as a kid. Will have to try it. Oddly enough, just made the tomato soup cake today. Saw mention of it on the Cooking Channel this year, remembered liking it but hadn't made it in more than 20 years. Don't know why it's been so long (maybe busy quilting), but it won't be 20 years until I make it again. So moist and spicy
Old 12-08-2011, 06:11 AM

I do get confused about flour,
when a recipe says x amount of flour, do they mean cake flour, plain flour, self rising flour?

I used to get the Spanish bar, would be great to have this recipe, oh yes I AM going to copy it to try it out! Christmas is coming and want to do something different!
Old 12-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Usually if a recipe calls for just flour, I assume that means All-Purpose Flour. If it's a specialty flour it usually says that in the recipe but not always. In the case of self rising flour, look in the recipe, if it has a leavening agent in the recipe (baking powder or soda) you would not need the self-rising flour too. As for cake flour, I've never used it to do my cakes. Mine are just for family and all-purpose works fine for me. Cake flour is supposed to make a lighten, finer texture. Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I made the first recipe posted. It turns out light and fluffy. Very good but not what I remembered the A&P spanish bar being. Going to try the tomato soup one.