Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
looking for recipe >

looking for recipe

looking for recipe

Old 09-28-2010, 10:46 AM

i think its called German potatoes salad not sure but my husband mom used to fix it i know it has celery seeds and i think she put celery in it our 26th wedding anniversary and my birthday is coming up so for our anniversary if i can find this recipe i want to fix it for him i know i cant cook it like mom but i thought it would be nice to try and do for him
Thanks
HUGS Dora
Old 09-28-2010, 10:50 AM

I got this recipe from AllRecipes.com

Original Recipe Yield 12 servings
Ingredients

9 potatoes, peeled
6 slices bacon
3/4 cup chopped onions
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 30 minutes. Drain, cool and slice thin.
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside, reserving drippings.
Saute onions in bacon drippings until they are golden-brown.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, celery seed, and pepper. Add to the sauteed onions and cook and stir until bubbly, then remove from heat. Stir in water and vinegar, then return to the stove and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for one minute. Carefully stir bacon and sliced potatoes into the vinegar/water mixture, stirring gently until potatoes are heated through
Old 09-28-2010, 05:28 PM

thank you for the recipe , HUGS Dora
Old 09-30-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
I got this recipe from AllRecipes.com

Original Recipe Yield 12 servings
Ingredients

9 potatoes, peeled
6 slices bacon
3/4 cup chopped onions
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 30 minutes. Drain, cool and slice thin.
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside, reserving drippings.
Saute onions in bacon drippings until they are golden-brown.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, celery seed, and pepper. Add to the sauteed onions and cook and stir until bubbly, then remove from heat. Stir in water and vinegar, then return to the stove and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for one minute. Carefully stir bacon and sliced potatoes into the vinegar/water mixture, stirring gently until potatoes are heated through
My dad, who is 83, still makes German Potato Salad like this and he learned from his mother! If it's not exactly as you remember tasting, play with the amount of vinegar. This recipe looks very close, but sometimes recipes I find on the internet are sweeter than what dad would make. Dad also makes a dressing similar to this without the potatoes of course, for topping spinach or even watercress and then adding hard cooked eggs! Yum!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:49 AM

I had German Potato Salad once and it was delicious. The one that I tasted had cucumbers in it. Does anyone know of a recipe that uses cucumbers? Would love to have it. Thanks
Old 09-30-2010, 09:29 AM

I made a German Potato Salad recently for an Oktoberfest party. It sounds very similar to the ones above. Just put in any search engine "German Potato Salad". You should get LOTS AND LOTS of recipes.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:41 AM

yeah my MIL passed away and i never did get to get this recipe from her , there were a few other things she made, hubby misses like maggys mess, some i cant tell ya the names of but i wanted to try and make him something for our annivesry he might miss that his mom made
HUGS dora
Old 09-30-2010, 01:08 PM

My grandma's potatoe salad was the one everyone asked for at picnics....now my husband won't eat it if it's not this recipe!

Grandma Dodge's Potatoe Salad (circa 1900's)

potatoes -cooked and cubed,
chopped celery,
finely chopped onion,
cucumber -seeded and cut to same size of potatoes,
green pepper chopped,
hard boiled eggs (1 or 2),
dill relish/pickles (if desired)
sweet relish,
Seasonings: before you mix the above ingredients sprinkle salad with the following seasonings; parsley, celery seed, poppy seeds, dash of cumin, dash of dill weed, salt and pepper, sprinkle of sugar and a touch of garlic and then add Mayonnaise...mix all ingredients and season with seasonings to taste.
How much of everything else? potatoes...depends on the size of the salad you are making. cucumber...one whole, onion...1/2. green pepper, 1/4 or more. tblsp. of relishes...you'll have to make it to your own taste, but the combination of it is what makes it different. Enjoy!
Old 09-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Google Goddess

sounds yummy, thank you!

Originally Posted by barbb baumgardner
My grandma's potatoe salad was the one everyone asked for at picnics....now my husband won't eat it if it's not this recipe!

Grandma Dodge's Potatoe Salad (circa 1900's)

potatoes -cooked and cubed,
chopped celery,
finely chopped onion,
cucumber -seeded and cut to same size of potatoes,
green pepper chopped,
hard boiled eggs (1 or 2),
dill relish/pickles (if desired)
sweet relish,
Seasonings: before you mix the above ingredients sprinkle salad with the following seasonings; parsley, celery seed, poppy seeds, dash of cumin, dash of dill weed, salt and pepper, sprinkle of sugar and a touch of garlic and then add Mayonnaise...mix all ingredients and season with seasonings to taste.
How much of everything else? potatoes...depends on the size of the salad you are making. cucumber...one whole, onion...1/2. green pepper, 1/4 or more. tblsp. of relishes...you'll have to make it to your own taste, but the combination of it is what makes it different. Enjoy!
Old 09-30-2010, 03:17 PM

Here is the one we used to make, from the Betty Crocker Cookbook
Boil 6 medium potatoes in their jackets. Peel and slice thinly.
Fry slowly in skillet, then drain on paper towels 6 slices of bacon.
Saute in bacon fat until golden brown, 3/4 cup onion.
Blend in 2T flour, 1-2 t sugar, 1 1/2 t salt, 1/2 t celery seeds, dash of pepper.
Cook over low heat, stirring until smooth and bubbly, remove from heat.
Stir in 3/4 C water, 1/3 c vinegar, I use apple vinegar.
Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Stir in the potatoes and crumbled bacon. Remove from heat, cover and let stand until ready to serve.

If you want a shortcut, cook the potatoes and slice. Heat a jar of Marie Callendar's Spinach Salad Dressing with bacon.
Combine and enjoy!