Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Looking for vegetarian recipes. >

Looking for vegetarian recipes.

Looking for vegetarian recipes.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 PM

I pick up my exchange student on Tuesday who happens to be a vegetarian from Austria. I've looked up some recipes on the computer but would like to see if you have any ideas and recipes. Thanks :thumbup:
Old 08-19-2010, 06:29 PM

Well, veggies are always well received with vegetarians. The hard part is finding proteins. Beans, tofu, and cheese are wonderful sources. You'll have to ask him what he normally eats. Sometimes it's easier to go with a particular cuisine. Say, Cuban. You would make black beans (protein/meat), rice, green salad, veggie. Fresh fruit for dessert with some ice cream or frozen yogurt on the side. Or how about Asian? Baked or stir fried tofu is yummy with veggies and soba noodles. For dessert try a fruit juice granita. My kids love vegetarian quesadillas. They use flour or corn tortillas and top them with cheese, salsa, veggies, fresh herbs, etc. They dip them in homemade pico de gallo, guacamole and sour cream. Or go Mediterranean and serve hummus with raw veggies and toasted pita bread. I'd love to hear what your student eats. I'm always open to learning about meatless meals.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:45 PM

Thanks Chele. Wow you gave me some wonderful ideas.
I may end up liking this whole menu. Its going to be a fun
learning experience. I'll keep you posted. :thumbup:
Old 08-19-2010, 07:30 PM

Does your student eat dairy? That makes a big difference! I have lots of friends who are veg. and some that are vegan! Believe it or not it is very easy to get enough of what you need without eating fish or meat! (a little tip is to have nuts, walnuts, almonds, pecans on hand...a little set out to snack on is a good thing...but don't overdo it!) Good luck and have lots of fun. You might check out all recipes.com. I can also share a few recipes if you'd like.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:43 PM

Hi Chiggar thank you, I'm really not sure about how much of a vegetarian she is. I really don't know much about it myself.
I am hoping its not the vegan one though. I know they don't eat eggs or milk or anything. Yikkes.
I emailed her earlier about it but haven't heard back yet. Or I may not know much more til she gets here Tuesday. I was actually hoping to get some groceries before she got here so thats why I'm checking early for ideas and recipes.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

Garden burgers are good, and there are a variety of other soy based meats available too, usually in the freezer section :wink:

Peanut butter, dry beans, bulgar wheat (looks like bits of macaroni and high in protein, used like rice) egg substitues are good too :D:D:D
Old 08-20-2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Garden burgers are good, and there are a variety of other soy based meats available too, usually in the freezer section :wink:

Peanut butter, dry beans, bulgar wheat (looks like bits of macaroni and high in protein, used like rice) egg substitues are good too :D:D:D
Garden Burgers are yummy. This is why I wanted a bit of a head start. I just have a small grocery store here and this is all stuff they don't carry. I have to go shopping that is an hour away. More great ideas. Thanks so much. My list is growing.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-20-2010, 05:44 PM

Pizza, spagetti, soups, edamame salad is really good and can often be found at the deli center in your grocery.

I eat vegan to help keep diabetes in check. Works well.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell
Pizza, spagetti, soups, edamame salad is really good and can often be found at the deli center in your grocery.

I eat vegan to help keep diabetes in check. Works well.
I've never heard of edamame salad. I'll have to look that one up. I am not diabetic but I have had pancreatic problems so the vegetarian diet was brought up by a nurse in the past so thats why this is all looking great to me. I need to follow this anyways for the most part. I'm excited to learn new ways. From all the help here and Norina I should be good to go for a great diet pretty soon. I could stand to loose a pound or 20 too. :thumbup:
Thanks for the help. :thumbup: ;-)
Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 PM

Garden burger also makes a great bacon especially if you are craving a blt. Home made black bean burgers are also great I like them better than garden burgers. they are wonderful on the barbe