Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Low sugar & gluten free treats? >

Low sugar & gluten free treats?

Low sugar & gluten free treats?

Old 07-12-2014, 03:22 PM

I have also used King Arthur and Bob's Mills. Both offer very good products. Which I continue to use.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:57 PM

Here's a recipe for Skinny Chunky Monkey Cookies...gluten free....and low sugar...and DELICIOUS (kind of like no-bake cookies)

3 very ripe bananas
2 c oats
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 t vanilla

Mash bananas; add remaining ingredients and mix well. LET SIT 20 MINUTES...drop by spoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheet, then bake in 350 degree preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:12 AM

Just curious if eating GF causes weight loss? Know it won't if you choose other high fat food,
to replace GF.
Thanks for this thread,sites etc.Info from "real ppl"is great.BTW,not GF here,but have already cut way back on certain foods & GF might be next.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I just made gluten free banana bread with nuts a couple of days ago. I used a regular recipe just replaced the wheat flour with an all purpose flour. I didn't have any xanthum gum so made it without. It didn't crumble too badly and next time I will use it. I bought more yesterday so I'd have it next time. the Xanthum gum helps to keep it from crumbling.

I make my Nestle toll house choc chip cookies with the GF all purpose flour and I can't tell the difference. My grands can't tell the diff either.

You do need to check your baking powder and baking soda for wheat. Not sure about the soda. it many not have any. I use it anyway as our GF is not a life threatening situation and a little bit won't hurt us. One of these days I will order the GF version online.

Some chocolate bars do not have any gluten in them. Hershey's milk chocolate bar with or without nuts is gf.
Toffee bars don't have any gluten. However I found out the hard way that tootsie rolls DO have gluten! I ate a tiny one my dgs had left and the next thing I knew I couldn't breathe.

I use homemade cocoa when I get to craving sweets and chocolate in particular. I also have to avoid corn and soy so I can't eat any chocolate candy anymore unless I make it at home.

Another idea if he likes them is no bake cookies. It is made with cocoa sugar peanut butter and butter and oats. No gluten there. But you do have to use gluten free oats.

Oats do not have gluten in them but the reg oats are processed on machinery which uses wheat flour to grease the machinery or has processed gluten products before processing the oats. So the reg can be tainted with wheat.
It is a bit more expensive but worth it.

Another idea would be to make homemade fudge or other homemade candy. I searched for gf candy ideas and there are a lot of them. if he has a favorite candy you might be able to find a gf version you can make at home.

Substituting is the key to eating the things you enjoy and not being so limited.

Last edited by Rhonda; 07-18-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Pat it does promote weight loss but you do have to be aware of high carb foods and portion control. I'm still struggling on that one.

I found a brand of gf hamburger buns I love. but I have to limit the use or I'd gain weight on them. It is nice tho to have something that tastes like real bread and I can make toast with it!!

My DH and I went gluten free almost 2 ys ago. He has lost 70 pounds and I've only lost 30. However I was still eating potato chips and chocolate and he doesn't eat them. He's not much of a sweets eater and I am a chocoholic.
I've since given up both just recently to see if I can lose. It is tough tho!!

It does depend on what you choose to eat. Basically if you look at a diabetic diet it is mostly meat veggies fruits and dairy with limited carbs. That is also a Gluten free eating pattern. We just choose gf carbs instead of wheat

So going GF is a smart healthy way to live and makes you feel good about yourself.