Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Lunch from the garden >

Lunch from the garden

Lunch from the garden

Old 04-25-2020, 09:45 PM

Default Lunch from the garden

By birthday is tomorrow. Our dd & sil came for lunch. Very pleasant on the patio. For lunch we had a salad from the garden: kale, pak choy, pea pods, onions with cole slaw dressing. Big hit!

Then dd & I got busy in the vegetable beds. Planted celery (it's probably too late, but worth a try), eggplant, zuchinni, Mexican oregano and tomatores. We made a plan for staking the tomatores. I'd started the tomatoes in the kitchen window and moved to larger pots. It was nice to get them out of dining space with south facing windows. There's still more tomato seedlings but don't see any ore space for them. Now there's more seedlings in the window. They'll be ready for transplant within 1-3 wks.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:35 AM

I’m limited to room for 6 tomato plants & 2 climbing cucumber plants at our house. Those beds are ready to plant early May. We can still get frost by Mother’s Day.

I’m part of a Community Garden (8x22) and it’s been plowed but not staked out into about 52 plots quite yet. I’ll be planting beets for canning, radish, rainbow carrots and potatoes. Deer & rabbits are problems there so I’ll need to fence some of it. We will be getting CoVid-19 guidelines on the garden.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

Nothing like fresh from the garden!
Old 04-26-2020, 07:09 AM

My garden cannot go in until after Mother's Day. We have had snow on Mother's day several times in the last few years. I do a lot of canning and the temp has barely be getting into the 60 since March. I have barely started the clean up for the Asparagus which should be coming up soon. A good majority of my produce comes from the local farmer's market but I am not to sure how that will play out this year. Time will tell.
What a joy to have dd and sil over for your bd. Then to have help planting and getting things ready for more veggies. Enjoy all you plant and all your harvest.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:16 AM

Sounds like a delicious lunch. Good for you by living off your garden. I miss my grandmother's garden foods. They were so tasty.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:26 PM

How lovely! Spring is definitely in the air. My dau just had a birthday and we had a celebration too. She had come over the week before to help my in my garden. We planted fig trees, currant and sea berry bushes, did lots of veggie starts and weeded. It was a huge help to me. Gardening has kept me sane through the social distancing.

~ C