Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Mangoes

Mangoes

Saw this on You Tube. Hold mango upright and slice down right next to the stone on both sides. Hold slice in left hand and use a wide rim drinking glass to peel the pulp out of the skin in one motion. No more mashed up fruit trying to peel and slice !

That's good info. I have massacred mine trying to peel them. That's why I don't buy them that often.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Or, once you have cut down each side of the stone, criss cross the flesh with the knife and invert the skin - you will have a hedgehog mango! Yummy.

I just used the glass method a little while ago. We like those yellow mangoes. Anyway. it worked fine, but it leaves a little slice on the sides. I just cut them off and ate the flesh off the rind. As an aside, one of my sons is allergic to the rinds. If his lips touch them, they blow up.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I do like Charley26, cross cut and flip out. Easy to eat and easy to cut the chunks off the skin if needed.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I wish I could eat one. I am allergic to them.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

There is a lot I didn't know about mangoes. When former War Corespondent Tad Bartimus wrote a column that was carried once a week in the Tacoma, WA newspaper, I would go out of my way to get a copy of the newspaper on the days they carried her column. Then, I moved farther away, so looked up her writings via computer. In one article she wrote of the mangoe tree near their house coming down in a storm. She wanted cabinets made from the wood, but had a hard time finding anyone who was experienced with using mangoe wood because it was so toxic that most could not even touch it. Hard to comprehend how such wonderful fruit could come from such toxic wood.

I've always cut them like charley26 said... I love mangoes! I lived in Hawaii for nearly 12 years and made many a loaf of mango bread from the fruit that grew in my yard. Same recipe as banana bread, just sub mangoes. To die for!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

My grandmother was terribly allergic to mango skin but she loved mango fruit. So she used rubber gloves to get the skins off the fruits and into the bowls. Then to get the skins into and out to the trash cans. She would get huge hives. But the fruit was no problem. Had heard the wood was very toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by Needles View Post
    My grandmother was terribly allergic to mango skin but she loved mango fruit. So she used rubber gloves to get the skins off the fruits and into the bowls. Then to get the skins into and out to the trash cans. She would get huge hives. But the fruit was no problem. Had heard the wood was very toxic.
    I can't touch the fruit, my hand starts to itch and get red. I definitely can't eat them, my lips and tongue swell.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

mac
    Wow! I didn't know that Mangoes could be such an allergenic. That is amazing information about the mango wood, too.

Gosh, didn't know that people could be allergic to the rind, but not the fruit. I have a great recipe for mango sauce and shrimp. I'll have to did it out!
    Penny

Blog Entries
    I love mangos. I slice down either side of the seed. I then take my knife and dice it in the skin. Then I scoop it out with a spoon. I just had half of a mango in my yogurt this morning.

Mango skin (and the flesh just below the skin) have urushiol oil in them, the same oil that causes reactions from poison ivy, oak and sumac. They aren't my favorite fruit because of their astringency but my hub loves them so we have them in the house quite often. I've sprouted a few seeds but have never had one make it past a few inches tall before dying (or a squirrel digging them from the pot).

Quote Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
    Or, once you have cut down each side of the stone, criss cross the flesh with the knife and invert the skin - you will have a hedgehog mango! Yummy.
    I do this method all the time, but I've never tried using a glass to scoop out the mango. Great ideas! I'll bet a "scooping cup" would work for an avocado too!

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    I can't touch the fruit, my hand starts to itch and get red. I definitely can't eat them, my lips and tongue swell.
    I used to live in Hawaii and mango rash was a common problem. A lot of my friends got it by just picking up a mango. I'm fortunate that I don't get the rash. It can be nasty!