Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
My Mom's Recipes >

My Mom's Recipes

My Mom's Recipes

Old 06-21-2015, 08:11 AM

My Mom loves recipes, even if she never makes anything from it she still keeps it. She has recipes dating back before I was born! If I ask for a copy she sends me a hand written one.

As for me, I learned how to cook from my Dad mostly. I grew up living with him and my 4 other siblings. Dad rarely used any type of measuring device while cooking, just the palm of his hand for dry spices and such. And his eye for liquids going into the pan or pot. Baking was another thing, he told me always measure. And never, ever but baking soda in place of baking powder for biscuits. Because when I was 11, he was teaching me to make biscuits for go along with our beans for supper. We ran out of baking powder so I thought I could use baking soda in it's place. They both say "baking" right?! Well my poor biscuits were like hockey pucks, but Dad ate 3 or 4 anyway.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:58 AM

I didn't realize people actually used a recipe book AND followed the direction until AFTER I was married (at 35 yo). My mom would sometimes have a recipe book when she cooked altho barely looked at it. I was surprised when my m-i-l was able to give me an actual recipe. Love them both and miss you.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
When I asked my Mom for a couple of recipes - she said -

I make it exactly like this recipe - except for . . . . .

which were multiple changes, additions, or subtractions from the "original" recipe she showed me.

How about your Moms?
When I wanted a certain recipe, I'd have to watch her make it and then measure everything she put in it. Then, when I had quite a few of her (our) favorite recipes, I made up a cookbook for each of the grandchildren with a picture of my mom carrying a tray of food, used as a watermark on each page, and then pictures of my mom with that particular grandchild. They loved them.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:25 PM

My mom never used a cookbook , But she did good 6 of use didn't have time to read a book.
she made the best potato salad. mmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 06-23-2015, 05:07 PM

My Mom told me if I liked to eat I had better take over cooking at age 13 or 14. She never baked, seasoned, or fryed any foods. Then when I left for college my younger sister took over the kitchen. My Mom's idea of good food was at the local restruante or seafood shop. Thank God I taught my boys to cook, my daughters in law thank me daily. My girls had to learn after they left home as they were too buzzy to earn from me. Bon Appetite
Old 07-27-2015, 07:13 PM

Mom could put a hot, delicious meal complete with dessert on the table and make it look easy. We were on the farm and she helped Dad outside a lot too. She owned 1 cookbook, but hardly used it because I have it and it's just like new. Amazing woman.