Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need Help >

Need Help

Need Help

Old 12-31-2011, 10:54 AM

I am diabetic too and had to buy a couple of diabetic cook books, but have tried converting regular recipes I like to be diabetic. You will get the idea when reading diabetic cook books. Something I learned from another diabetic, is to balance protein with carbs. So now every meal I make I am eating both. It is better to eat small meals, than 3 great big ones. I use Splenda, Agave syrup, honey for my sweetner. Just stay away from regular sugar and regulate your portions. You will also have to watch your fat intake too. Wal-mart has two sugar free cake mixes(choc. and white), along with two sugar free frostings. Like if you make a cake from scratch, sub part of the oil for applesauce. Learn to read labels because you will find lots of sugar in foods. Hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:25 PM

Type 1 or 2? I have mine under control with Metformin and Onglyza. I can pretty much eat what I want in smaller quantities but for the first 2 years I really watched everything. It isn't as hard as it sounds at first. My sister was just diagnosed as Type 2 and she's doing fine with it now. Use the meter and check check check!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:45 PM

My sil real Archi bunker went when she was diagnosed with diabetes. 3 sessions and all she got out of it was 10 gold fish was a snack and 20 were a meal.

Then she went back and dietician asked her what she was eating she said salads, then the dietician asked what kind of dressing was she using she said ," I don't know it comes in the package. ( pasta salad

Then she said what else are you eating she said well I bag of candy a day or more but I am eating my salads." My poor other sil said I am sure what she is telling you is true. My poor sil could not leave fast enough.

We have all tried to tell her but no way she knows it all. Always has. Got to love her.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:01 AM

Have any of you tried using Xagave for sweetner? It has a much lower glycemic index, it's natural, and it is a healthy sugar. It can be used for baking and cooking also. We have used it for pies and my husband uses it in his coffee. It does not have a strong taste at all.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:04 AM

Thank you all so much. This is taking some getting used to and an adjustment in my meal planning. We both have a sweet tooth and my DH loves chocolate!
Several years I did the First Place diet plan at our church and it was based on the ADA dietary guidelines, so I found all my "stuff" from that(I never throw anything away). It has been a big help.