Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Out of That?  Use This. >

Out of That? Use This.

Out of That? Use This.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:21 PM

Default Out of That? Use This.

What substitutions do you make when you are out of some ingredient? For example, If a recipe calls for cake flour, which I never have on hand, I just replace a few tablespoons of white, wheat flour with corn starch. What are some of the clever ways you get around it when your are out of it?
Old 12-31-2020, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

I never buy buttermilk
..... instead add vinegar or lemon juice to milk.

I'm sure that one is known by most, but when I don't have an ingredient,
just ask our good ol' friend Mr. Google for the substitution!!!

Happy New Year's, Everyone!
Old 12-31-2020, 11:53 AM

When a recipe calls for milk & I am out of it I use coffee creamer instead. I just heat up some water & put in some spoonfuls of powdered creamer & I have the "milk" I need. I have used it for making gravy & all sorts of stuff if I am low/out of milk. I always make it a law in my house to never run out powdered coffee creamer in my pantry.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:29 AM

Out of eggs? Use 2 Tablespoons of freshly ground flax seeds, to 3 Tablespoons of water and let sit for about 20 minutes. The mixture should thicken up like the viscosity of a raw egg. Use in most any recipe.

This works with chia seeds too.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:51 AM

When making a mix (brownie or cake) I usually sub half of the oil called for with applesauce. Cuts down on the calories.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:04 AM

When making jello I sometimes blend in whipped topping after the jello has had a chance to thicken slightly. I use less water when making the jello when I plan to do this. When out of topping I have found that vanilla ice cream makes a nice substitution. Dissolve the gelatin in a little less hot water than usual and then add several scoops of the ice cream and stir until blended. This helps the jello to cool down and congeal and tastes great. I have had many compliments on jello made this way. When I last made it i used three packages of jello with two cups of hot water and then added the ice cream. This time I used orange with vanilla ice cream but one can use red jello with strawberry or cherry nut ice cream or green jello with lime sherbet would be good. I always slack a bit on the water to be added as I like a more firm product and not one that tends to be soft and runny..
Old 01-05-2021, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Last night I made a tuna casserole... had all the ingredients until I came to the cream of mushroom soup. None at all in the house. So instead I heated milk and flour with salt, stirring all the while, making a white sauce, I guess. I melted the cheese in the hot white sauce and used that instead of the canned soup. It turned out so much better!
Old 01-05-2021, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

ABC123XYZ .... yogurt works too! Or instead of fully blending the two, I let the jello set partially. Then add dollops of the yogurt and only partially stir it in, so that you get a mix of the two textures. One of my favourite treats.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:37 PM

I am with you on this one. tropit
For smooth creamed peas---every time
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter
Stir in 5 or 6 tablespoons of non-dairy coffee creamer
Stir in a can of peas, juice and all
Microwave 2 1/2 min, stir and microwave 2 1/2 minutes more

Last edited by trustme2; 01-07-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:47 PM

Not many recipes call for mace so I never have any in my pantry. Subbing equal parts of cinnamon and nutmeg works very well.