Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Peeling Eggs

Peeling Eggs

I have made deviled eggs for years and until the last couple of years, I've had no problem peeling the eggs. Does anyone have a great way to to peel the shell easily?

Blog Entries
    First, don't use fresh eggs from chickens in your yard, use only store bought eggs (they are marked "fresh" even if they are 3 months old).
    Second, there are lots of "tricks" to get the eggs to cool and shrink away from the shell, but if you've been making eggs for years, I assume you know those.
    Lastly, I use a teaspoon to scoot under the shell, and around the egg to get the shell off nicely.

Jane is right about using older eggs. I bring the eggs to a boil and turn off the heat, leaving the pot still on the burner. I wait about 30 minutes but they may be done sooner. Drain and cover with cold water and some ice. Works for me!

I've always had great success bringing the eggs to a boil, then draining under cold water, then rolling the eggs over a towel before peeling.

Not hard to tell it's potato salad season! LOL!

I owned chickens for several years and experimented with proper age for boiling eggs. Came up with 10 days or older for easy peeling. Any fresher than that don't peel easily. Learned to date my eggs with a pencil and save some out for boiling. It has to do with a small amount of the moisture evaporating out through the shell.

I always have better luck when I peel them in a bowl of cold water while the eggs are still warm.

I add table salt to the water, put in eggs, bring to a boil. Turn off the stove and set the timer for 25 minutes. After the timer does its job, drain off the hot water and then fill the pan with cold water and let set for about 10 minutes. Peel and enjoy.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Perfect. I also put 6 or so ice cubes in.

I have an egg cooker - it only makes 7 eggs at a time, and you have to puncture each egg before you put it in the little machine but I never have trouble peeling them. My mother would say it is because you are making them for company. Her eggs came out perfect when she made them for the family or putting the eggs in a salad so it didn't matter what they look like. But make them to take somewhere or having company come over - then the little buggers hold on to those shells like crazy.

I'm not a kitchen gadget girl, but got an egg cooker like quiltingcandy uses as a gift and I LOVE that thing! Perfectly peeled eggs every time!

My mother always cooked the eggs as others have described, with good results: bring the water to a boil, turn off the heat but keep a lid on the pan, let eggs and water cool, then rinse in cold water, roll the eggs on the counter to crack the shells all over, and peel.

A friend told me she bakes the whole egg in a muffin tin and they peel the easiest she's ever tried. I haven't done it yet--still using the boiling water and quick cool method.

Try shaking egg(s) in small covered container that has some water in it.

I peel the boiled eggs under water, so much easier!
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try watching the age of the eggs and maybe peeling them when they're still warm. Hopefully better results :-)

Power Poster
    Buy an egg cooker. I have one that a friend bought me for my birthday about 4 years ago. I have never had an egg stick again. It will boil 7 at a time and no matter how fresh or not they are, they never stick.

Farm fresh eggs have larger yolks and sometimes not enough white to stay intact when you use them as devilled eggs. Or at least that has been my experience. Somewhere DH heard to take the hot eggs put them in a tuperware like container and put them in the fridge to cool. They sweat making the shells easier to come off. Or at least that's the theory. Works for him. Whenever he finds out a trick to use in the kitchen, that becomes his job. Sp far he's the dish washer loader and the grocery putter upper.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    I add table salt to the water, put in eggs, bring to a boil. Turn off the stove and set the timer for 25 minutes. After the timer does its job, drain off the hot water and then fill the pan with cold water and let set for about 10 minutes. Peel and enjoy.
    I have used the same method to boil, set timer for 25 minutes, drain off hot water. THEN with lid ON, SHAKE the eggs to crack the shells, fill pan with cold water and then peel.
    I have the Instant Pot pressure cooker now, put in 1 cup water and layer eggs on bottom rack in silicone baking cups, to fill pot, cook for about 5 minutes. I peel while rather hot so I can pickle them and have them seal to store in the spare fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by bneuen View Post
    I have made deviled eggs for years and until the last couple of years, I've had no problem peeling the eggs. Does anyone have a great way to to peel the shell easily?
    Cuisinart Egg Central. I love this thing. Oh how I hated boiling eggs and peeling before. I had my method, but this is so much better hands down. Wish they had been available 50 years ago!

Blog Entries
    I put a little oil in the water, when done boiling cool quickly with cold water Shell will come off easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamia View Post
    I put a little oil in the water, when done boiling cool quickly with cold water Shell will come off easily.
    I think the cooling quickly is very important. If eggs cook too long or are not cooled quickly, the yolks turn dark around the outside. I don't think it really hurts the egg, it's just unsightly.

The trick I have tried lately for potato salad or egg salad is to poach the eggs. I can put up to seven eggs in a flat pan with a few inches of boiling water. When eggs are cooked, pour everything into a strainer. Then you have yolks that are a little oval shaped instead of round, but that's a "design choice".
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I recently read that peeling a boiled egg from the "pointy" end is more effective than peeling from the "round" end. I had always peeled from the "round" end. I thought it sounded foolish until I tried it. Dang if it doesn't work better!

I have my egg cooker on my kitchen counter covered by a toaster cover I made that does not cover our toaster now. I keep hard boiled eggs in the refrigerator (carton marked "hard") as we like them for breakfast, and I have "instant" egg salad makings, deviled eggs, for potato salad, etc. And we really like the soft boiled eggs for breakfast! My husband even likes them refrigerated if I make an extra or 2. I am always careful to punch the end of the egg that was up in the carton as that is where the air bubble is. The secret is to get under the membrain between the egg and the shell when peeling! As she said "get an egg cooker!"

I read this on Pinterest and have tried it 2 or 3 times. We buy eggs from some Amish friends so they are VERY fresh. I read to bring the water to a boil with some vinegar in it. (I just pour some in....less than 1/4 cup in a 6 qt pan.) After the water comes to boil add the eggs. Cook for 14 minutes then put into ice water. I just put a bunch of ice in a large pan and add water then the eggs. I haven't had any trouble peeling the eggs since I've used this method. This is one of the FEW things I've read on Pinterest that actually worked! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sewgood View Post
    I read this on Pinterest and have tried it 2 or 3 times. We buy eggs from some Amish friends so they are VERY fresh. I read to bring the water to a boil with some vinegar in it. (I just pour some in....less than 1/4 cup in a 6 qt pan.) After the water comes to boil add the eggs. Cook for 14 minutes then put into ice water. I just put a bunch of ice in a large pan and add water then the eggs. I haven't had any trouble peeling the eggs since I've used this method. This is one of the FEW things I've read on Pinterest that actually worked! LOL
    Cooks Illustrated magazine says to use this method. I don't think they mentioned the vinegar, though. My trouble doing this is that the eggs tend to crack when you put them in the water. I started using a spoon to lower them so they land more gently!

The ladies here are right about not using fresh eggs. I ruined two dozen eggs that wouldn't peel for deviled eggs at Thanksgiving one year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast