Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
pierogies & Piggies (Halupki) >

pierogies & Piggies (Halupki)

pierogies & Piggies (Halupki)

Old 02-28-2008, 10:26 AM

First generation Polock here. My gram used canned tomatoes (her own). I loved galumpkis because I could crush the tomatoes in my hands over the pot. She made so many it would take two head of cabbage. She also made pigs in a blanket ( all beef dogs).
I had forgotten about sauerkraut in perogies, yum. I will add after te par boik stage you can freeze the perogies, I lay them out on a cookie sheet covered until frozen, then put them in freezer bag. There's only two of us, so makes easy addition to meal.
Barb another thing my gram made which I love was ox tail soup, but next to impossible to find ox tail here.
She would also take beef shanks, sauerkraut, potatoes and onions layer it in a large pot and simmer. Somtimes she would put pearl barley in.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 PM

crushing tomatoes sounds like fun! My gram made homemade bread every Sat. until she was 98. Dad made her stop because she would forget it was in the oven and go work in the garden. I remember making mint jelly and helping pick raspberries and taking walks and picking blueberries and tea berries. She taught us to eat nasturiums and dandelion leaves in salad. I ate watercress sandwiches before I knew it was good for you. She taught me to sew on her treadle Singer machine- I made a pair of pants out of old curtains (how Scarlett O'Hara of me!) and my mom flipped out. I learned to crochet by sitting on the floor and reversing her stitches- I'm a lefty. I spent so much time with her! I lost her just 3 years ago, she was 106 and I miss her to this very day! She's the reason I can sew, crochet, love to read- she was/is my hero!
Old 02-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Grandparents play such an important role in childrens lives as shown by the time spent with your grandmother. You have such wonderful memories of her.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:59 PM

Oh Barb now I going to cry. I learned to sew on gram's treadle, I was five. She also taught me to quilt started by sewing four patches, by hand. I wish I could remember the smell of her kitchen, it was so distinct. Thinking about it I have been quilting almost 55 years, geez I'm old.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:04 AM

I calculate middle age for me by gram's age- 53. That means I'm not middle age yet (49 yesterday). I'd give anything to go back to spending time with her and learning more from her. I remember her skin- she never seemed to age- her wrinkles were more pronounced, but it was so soft. No matter how old I was, I always held her hand. The love that was so special.... I hope I can give that love to my grandchildren someday.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:14 AM

Barbm:
thank you for the recipies. I made the "Piggies" a couple days ago and we all loved them. I am going to try the periogies later today. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2008, 04:52 AM

I was raised calling the piggies in a blanket--stuffed cabbage. Although we never used the eggs in it. Sounds like a quick and simple dinner coming up. I will have to try your potato recipe. That sounds great too. I also wouldn't mind trying it also with the taco stuff.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:06 AM

I just love pierogies, thanks for the recipes.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:18 AM

Daughter and son in law just left for Seattle- his request was for pierogies for dinner the night before he left. When I talked to her the next day, he said he missed my pierogies already. :) I offered to talk them through making her own. She's not handy in the kitchen unless is spelled out on a recipe card. I told her I'd email very detailed instructions.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:02 AM

Do you cook the rice first?