Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Pineapple guavas...what to do with them? >

Pineapple guavas...what to do with them?

Pineapple guavas...what to do with them?

Old 11-14-2019, 11:32 AM

Default Pineapple guavas...what to do with them?

We have 2 big bushes that have followed us from our old home, where the climate was hot and dry, to northern California where we get a lot of summer heat, but also a ton of winter rain. I really thought that they were dead when they go here, but now they're thriving beyond measure! I now have fruits on them..tons...off of just 2 plants. Any ideas on what to do with them?

Thanks,
C
Old 11-15-2019, 12:10 PM

Isn't it wonderful to have too much? I know the pineapple guavas can survive and even thrive here in the Seattle area but I don't know anyone who actually has them. I really like mixing in "productive" plants into the landscape and have researched a lot of options, it's amazing what can be grown here.

Most everything I'd make would be against my low carb guidelines, you might try a search on "feijoa" recipes. You can do baked goods or make it into a paste or all sorts of things.

I think I'd probably process the pulp into ice cubes and add them into smoothies or maybe a holiday punch?? -- not that I can have many of them.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Isn't it wonderful to have too much? I know the pineapple guavas can survive and even thrive here in the Seattle area but I don't know anyone who actually has them. I really like mixing in "productive" plants into the landscape and have researched a lot of options, it's amazing what can be grown here.

Most everything I'd make would be against my low carb guidelines, you might try a search on "feijoa" recipes. You can do baked goods or make it into a paste or all sorts of things.

I think I'd probably process the pulp into ice cubes and add them into smoothies or maybe a holiday punch?? -- not that I can have many of them.
Ice cubes...good idea. I'll do a search for feijoa too. I think that you can find the trees for sale at onegreenworld.com. They're in Portland, OR, which isn't too far from you and probably has some good tips on how to grow them in your climate zone.

Thanks!

~ C
Old 11-16-2019, 01:15 PM

Raintree is from my side of the border and they ship exotics all over but I also love the nurseries near Portland. I have the rare hot rose suitable Seattle yard once we had to take down the ailing pie cherry tree and not a good yard for rhodies, got several of my old rootstock variety rosies down that way.

https://raintreenursery.com/garden_center