Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pink Pearl Apples

Pink Pearl Apples

Here in the Northwest we've got all sorts of apples and I've tried many -- but this is a new one to me. Hubby picked it up at the upscale Asian market in-between home and work. Tastes good, texture fine, but I was more excited when the Honeycrisp came out and then the Opals.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quilters: Advanced tool using humans.

Pretty things they are!

Would be nice and showy for a fruit tray.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    Not sure I like how that looks. Are they more of a tart or sweet apple?
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

So pretty! I've seen those types of apples in the catalogs, but haven't tried to grow one yet. We still have tons of apples on our trees. I don't think that I can process them all.

~ C

Ohio is not famous for great apples, imo, but I love Honey Crisp.
    I grew up in upstate NY and loved the apples. Must be the colder weather? Not sure but they are wonderful.

The texture on today's is not as good as the previous two but still ok, I'd say firm but not hard. Flavor is definitely eating (as opposed to baking) lightly tart but not sour and not strongly flavored.

If you get a chance to try and Opal, I really like them. They are a bright yellow longer fruit, the Pearls are less round than a Granny Smith but not as pointy as a Red Delicious.

With hubby's keto and my low carb he doesn't eat apples at all and I can only do half at a time and have a protein with it. Today it is making a nice base for Camembert cheese. Last week I had goat cheese and a sprinkle of walnuts.
    Quilters: Advanced tool using humans.

Power Poster
    Well they are pretty. Honey Crisp and Gala are my current favourites that are readily available. I love a good Russet but few grow the older varieties now.

Has anyone had Northern Spies? We had a large tree in our backyard growing up and my Mom made wonderful things with them. I've never seen them in Ohio.

DH and I share a Honey Crisp almost every night. Now I read about a new one coming out (forgot the same) that will rival Honey Crisp. Win Win !

That apple looks so pretty. Wish I could have a taste. Our apples are only so-so by the time they get to FL.

We had Northern Spy apple tree on the farm where I grew up. They are absolutely the best. They are a rare find anymore. Even here in the Northwest where apples grow so well.
    A new one for me this year is Lucy Rose and it is quite red inside and is very sweet, juicy and crisp. Love it.

We lived in Rome, New York, forty-three years ago. My favorite apple from that area was a Pippin. It was a large flat apple that was great for cooking or eating. We travelled back up there in October, but I could not find any Pippins. If anyone could tell me where I could find this apple, I would be grateful.

We visited my sister in Wenatchee and of course had to stop for apples at Stemilt. I found some varieties I'd never heard of, including Raze and Pinata and a few others like that. They were good, but the Fujis we bought from there were the best we've ever had. We didn't get any Honey Crisp. I wish we had to try theirs.
    Nobody ever went wrong with kindness.

Very pretty apple. I usually don't buy green skin apples so probably would have missed it.We probably would have never got it here in Kentucky. My favorite is the Gala

Apples are near the top of the list on my favorite fruits. Never have seen one with a pink inside so would like to try it! I did just see the "Juici" apple for the first time at the grocery store and had to try one. Really, good. A nice crisp apple. Here's the tag line on them A cross between Honeycrisp and Braeburn . Yum!

look yummy! i love all apple, my favorite fiji its crisp, crunchy and very sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by 1Nanoo View Post
    We lived in Rome, New York, forty-three years ago. My favorite apple from that area was a Pippin. It was a large flat apple that was great for cooking or eating. We travelled back up there in October, but I could not find any Pippins. If anyone could tell me where I could find this apple, I would be grateful.
    I don't know the answer to your question but I remember them too. I grew up in Utica. Haven't seen them at all these days.

My favorite apple is Macintosh. I bought some macs about a month ago and they were pink inside just like the ones pictured. I have since bought more macs and they were the "normal" white inside.

I am the oddball that doesn't like Honeycrisps. Your apple is very pretty. I can get Spys at the nearest fruit market in the fall. I wish they were available year round. My favorite is another very old apple and hard to find - Snow. It's rather small and very white inside. Second would be good old McIntosh. We get regular Macs and Early Macs. One of them is redder with pink streaks inside.

It's called Cosmic Crisp. A cross between Honey Crisp & Enterprise. Juicy, sweet, tart, slow to brown after cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I don't know the answer to your question but I remember them too. I grew up in Utica. Haven't seen them at all these days.
    If you google...."where to buy pippin apples" you'll find sites that sell/ship them.

My favorite eating apple is Ambrosia. It keeps for many weeks in the frig. Cooking/baking is Northern Spy. We get Northern Spys from Landon Orchards in Canton PA. They have beautiful apples in many varieties. Pre-picked or you pick. They have a facebook page. Closed for the season now tho.

Amazing how many different varieties there are. DH likes red delicious with crunch peanut butter on the slices. I like just about any sweet apple. I don't like tart ones, like Franny Smith, but I will eat yellow delicious apples.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.