Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Plastic Knives >

Plastic Knives

Plastic Knives

Old 12-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Default Plastic Knives

I've noticed that some of the cake and brownie mixes are suggesting to use a plastic knife to cut the product.

That sure will help minimize those gouges on the bottom of the pan made from metal knives!
Old 12-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I bought a pan and it recommended using plastic knives in order not to damage inside bottom. I try to put plastic knife on or near the pan. Such a good idea !
Old 12-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I was taught not to leave baked goods in metal pans. When cooled I take them out. A sheet cake is one item I will leave in the pan but I use double layer of parchment paper to line the pan.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I've noticed that some of the cake and brownie mixes are suggesting to use a plastic knife to cut the product.

That sure will help minimize those gouges on the bottom of the pan made from metal knives!
A few years ago a friend shared with me to always use a plastic knife to cut brownies because the brownies cut so much cleaner. There are knives made especially for that and I had one just had not used it for brownies. Now I always cut brownies with my special knife!!
Old 12-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I was taught not to leave baked goods in metal pans. When cooled I take them out. A sheet cake is one item I will leave in the pan but I use double layer of parchment paper to line the pan.
I try to not bake things that have fruit in them - especially rhubarb - in metal pans. The product gets "weird" when left in the pan more than a day or so. Plus the rhubarb discolors the pan.

My MIL had those pans that did not appear to be aluminum but had some sort of coating on them (1960s or older) and baked goods with fruit in them - the pans and product both got "unappetizing" rather quickly.

Of course, in my MIL's case, the item usually was eaten up within hours of being taken out of the oven.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:23 AM

Any kind of a plastic knife will work for cutting brownies, even from the plastic tableware bags. Have had a couple in the knife tray of my silverware drawer for years, always handy and always nice brownies.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:41 PM

I always mold foil in the pan first. It makes it easier to totally remove the brownies from the pan to cut, then the brownies can be wrapped in plastic wrap. My brownies always dry out if I leave them in the baking pan.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:20 PM

I spay with cooking spray, then line my pan cookie or brownie pans with parchment. I let them set five minutes out of the oven. I spread more parchment on the table, and invert the pan on the parchment. I then cut them when they cool with my handy dandy pizza cutter. Works like a charm and no having to dig them out of the pan or scratching the pan.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:36 AM

I use a plastic spatula with a straight edge and hold it perpendicular to the brownies and push straight down into the pan straight to the bottom to make the cuts. No dragging the knife through the brownies, just straight up and down and on to the next spot. You can even wiggle it a tiny bit to make separation between them, if they are the fudgy kind.

Watson
Old 12-07-2017, 07:15 AM

I have a small "cookie spatula" that is perfect for cutting brownies and getting cookies off the pan. I just push it in straight down to make the lines, so I am not scratching the pan.