Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Another Holiday is almost here what are you having for dinner. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/another-holiday-almost-here-what-you-having-dinner-t258042.html)

Billi 12-10-2014 03:59 PM

Another Holiday is almost here what are you having for dinner.

We have 2 big meals over the Christmas season one is the 23rd Christmas eve eve a traditional celebration with friends it's my turn to host so I am serving a large selection of appatiseres, stuffed mushrooms, mini caprasi salad bites, chopped raw veggies, artichoke spinach dip, Italian meats and cheeses, baked ravioli and bruschetta The actual dinner is lasagna, garlic bread and salad....

Our other big celebration is christmas day, yesterday I found out my brother in law is flaking on his commitment to cook Christmas day dinner at my in laws house so I'm making that too.

We are having grilled flank steak with grilled mushrooms, onions and bell peppers using a family marinade recipe, twice baked potatoes, peas and Caesar salad. For dessert we will have homemade fudge, haystacks and Christmas cookies. My mil will supply the pre dinner munchies

So what holiday are you celebrating? what's on your table? Is it a family tradition? Are you doing it all or sharing the load?

suern3 12-10-2014 04:26 PM

Our first big meal will be with my husband's family the Saturday before Christmas. A yearly tradition for which we have to rent a hall since we are a very large group. He is from a family of ten brothers and sisters and now grown kids and grandkids. It's a great group and we have such a good time. Everyone brings something and with little actual coordination, it seems to work out fine. Some of us "older" ones bring a main course. We bring a big batch of fried chicken from the grocery deli, another sister brings a large spiral cut ham, etc. The others fill in with appetizers and desserts, vegetables. Then on Sunday we have a brunch and open presents with our kids and grandkids. One of our daughters and her family live in Kansas City, so then they can have their Christmas day at home. For that meal we don't usually have anything fancy. They don't care for breakfast casseroles or that type of thing. Just scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and blueberry muffins. Sometimes our daughter that lives here makes cinnamon rolls which are so delicious! Anyway, I wish I could come to your party on the 23rd! What a great idea and I love the sound of the food you are fixing! Best wishes for a happy holiday season for you.

julie 12-10-2014 04:29 PM

We have Christmas with my family the Sunday before Christmas at my brother's house. They supply the ham and drinks and tableware, everyone else brings a dish to share. I'm making cauliflower salad for sure, probably some cookies too. We celebrate our family Christmas the Saturday after Christmas. What with all the in-laws and the fact that our one DIL is a nurse, we very rarely celebrate on Christmas Day. This way our children can create their own traditions on Christmas Day. For our family Christmas, we do a brunch. I make biscuits and sausage gravy, sausage and egg casserole, fruit bowl, monkey balls, pecan rolls, various juices, and of course, mimosas! Two of the kids are teachers so they bring cookies and candy they've received as gifts. It's an all day affair. Later in the day, if the grandkids are hungry, we'll make sandwiches and snacks.

Doggramma 12-10-2014 05:48 PM

Eek! Still need to get it planned. We usually have ham sandwiches, baked beans, and salad side items for Christmas Eve, then breaded tenderloin on Christmas Day. On Christmas Day we also have twice-baked potatoes, layered jello salad (red/green and yellow - it's kind of like the italian flag), some kind of vegetable or lettuce salad, and roasted chestnuts (italian tradition). For dessert it's usually Christmas cookies and creme de menthe pie.

DACO48 12-10-2014 05:51 PM

We used to do the BIG Dinner thing and we found we spent the whole day cooking, wearing ourselves out. Now I fix a couple of soups a couple of days ahead and let them season up for a few days. On Christmas day I fill the crockpots, set out several kind of crackers, summer sausage and a variety of cheeses. My DIL makes deviled eggs and ham roll appetizers. We are finding we actually enjoy the day much more. We set everything out on the counter and eat buffet style. Oh, forgot to mention, it is also our daughters BD so we have cake and ice cream. We dedicate the day to her or she would be totally forgotten. We have our Christmas celebration on Christmas Eve with deep fat fried shrimp and all the fixings that go with that. Now that Santa doesn't come anymore we open all our gifts on Christmas Eve.

lynnie 12-10-2014 06:02 PM

We're having roast beef with smashed potatoes so far. Waiting for my son and dh to tell me what else they want. including dessert. any ideas for dessert.
Just the three of us for dinner.
I don't think my son is working. he's in charge of recreation at the nursing/rehab place down the block.

Neesie 12-10-2014 06:41 PM

I'm thinking about making finjuna, for Christmas dinner. Of course the kids will probably turn theirs into pizza! :D

pocoellie 12-10-2014 06:54 PM

My goodness, you must like to cook. LOL I absolutely HATE to cook, so if there's more than 4 things on the table, that's amazing. LOL But since I'm scheduled to work before, during and after Christmas, it's just another day for me.

juneayerza 12-10-2014 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 7003364)
I'm thinking about making finjuna, for Christmas dinner. Of course the kids will probably turn theirs into pizza! :D

Neesie, can you explain what finjuna is? I couldn't find it on Google.

Billi 12-10-2014 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by juneayerza (Post 7003380)
Neesie, can you explain what finjuna is? I couldn't find it on Google.

Yes please I am beyond confused.

Pocoelle I love to cook it keeps me out of trouble.

Suerne and Julie your family traditions should like fun. My kids are getting older our traditions are in the processing of evolving not patricularly a bad thing the important part is we are together.

Simple soups and easy dinners are always a great idea that's our Christmas eve it's just the 4of us and maybe a boyfriend or close friend we will have leftovers from the dinner on the 23rd play games and open gifts around midnight. Doing the cooking on Christmas day is no big deal

Lynnie we always just have the Christmas candies and cookies for dessert there are already so many sweets we don't make yet another one just for dessert.