Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Bread Machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/bread-machine-t178053.html)

hobo2000 02-04-2012 03:16 PM

Went down that road and came back to my KitchenAid mixer with the dough hook. I can make 4 loaves with a lot less fuss with it. Gave three away, none of them worked quite right. As with quilting, you can do alot of thinking as you sew, so too with bread, kneading dough is good for the soul and great for the hands and fingers. This is the best exercise you can give your hands, nice warm dough and what helps your hands, helps your quilting.

Clueless Quilter 02-04-2012 03:21 PM

I too have one and love it. Like others, I use it for making dough but do the last rise in a regular bread pan and then cook it in the oven. I have had several brands over the years and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference as to the brand.

Some things I would consider:
1. I like one that allows for different bread sizes. I personally want one that will make a 2 lb. loaf.
2. If I do cook in the machine I want one that makes a rectangular loaf.
3. I don't know if there are others, but Breadman has one that has retractable paddles so that if you do bake the bread in the machine there isn't a hole in the bottom of the loaf.
4. If you are going to use it for dough you may want to consider how long the dough cycle is. Some are just an hour but some are 1-1/2 hours.
5. I like one that signals (beeps) when it is time to add things like raisins or nuts.

I use mine all of the time for bread dough, yeast rolls and lately I have been making bagels.

Jackie Spencer 02-04-2012 05:45 PM

I love my bread machine. Use it all the time, have a recipe for cinnamon rolls. use the dough cycle for them, it does all the work. all i have to do, is roll them out, spread the butter, cinnamon and brown sugar on them, roll them up, slice and put in pan to bake. They are delicious!

CMARAS1234 02-04-2012 07:17 PM

I own a 2# sunbeam that also makes breads , dough, pasta , and even Jam. LOve LOve it. I make bread about three times a week and freeze the leftovers for bread crumbs. Makes great strawberry jam also. Only prob I have is findind Semolina Flour for the pasta. we are only two people in our house, but love bread ( ITALIANS ) hehe

sailsablazin 02-04-2012 07:31 PM

I have several bread machines and use them both. Panasonic and Well Built.
Be sure that you buy a machine that makes a 2 pound loaf because if you choose to use a boxed bread mix...they only are made for 2 pound machines. I make bread several times/week because I do NOT want to eat the "high fructose corn syrup" that is in most store-bought brands.
I have found a wonderful recipe for a "Crusty Potato Bread" online...and it is delicious. PM me if you want it.
I love the idea of throwing the ingredients in the machine and then leaving (errands, swim meets, etc) and coming home to a warm loaf of bread.
I buy bread flour and yeast in bulk at Sam's Club....keep the flour in tupperware ---it keeps forever. I freeze the yeast and only bring out a small jar full at a time.
I would say BUY A BREAD MACHINE although I am sure that you can find them at yard sales, etc...since it was a fad for a while and now others are selling their machines. I LOVE both of mine.

sailsablazin 02-04-2012 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 4943262)
I love my bread machine. Use it all the time, have a recipe for cinnamon rolls. use the dough cycle for them, it does all the work. all i have to do, is roll them out, spread the butter, cinnamon and brown sugar on them, roll them up, slice and put in pan to bake. They are delicious!

Jackie,
Would you please share your recipe for the cinnamon rolls??

sailsablazin 02-04-2012 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo (Post 4942716)
I have a Sunbeam that I have had for 15 years. I use it for dough, only. I have about 3 recipes I use regularly, but in the winter only. It's too hot to bake in the summer. I make regular white, part whole wheat and seeded bread. It is all good. My one pound loaf doesn't last long around here, even though we are just 2.

IF you use the machine to make and bake the bread...doesn't matter if it is blazing hot outside... Love the bread with homemade strawberry jam...mmmmmm!

raedar63 02-04-2012 07:37 PM

I did not like mine . The bread seemed tough and not as light as traditional home made bread. Now if you are not accustomed to regular home made bread you will think it is heaven!

I enjoy the process of making the bread myself , so I got rid of mine a long time ago.

overdew 02-04-2012 08:24 PM

Borrow one and use it until you get it out of your system. It will not take more than a month. We were gaining weight, so I use mine rarely now. Plenty of them at Goodwill and garage sales for under $10 in TX.

gotta-sew 02-04-2012 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by BettyM (Post 4942262)
I have a zojurishi (sp?) that we bought several years ago. I use it nearly every other day and bake all the bread that we use. It can be programmed for different recipes, and it does really well for the recipe that I use. I mill my own flour, so I programmed the machine for this heavier flour. The machine is a workhorse and I would definitely buy this brand again. It makes a horizontal loaf that gives you sandwich size slices - they'll fit in the sandwich bags! When we got it I thought I would bake occasionally so we could have fresh homemade bread. But we don't buy any bread at all. Our 2 sons that were still at home at the time don't want any other bread!

I have the same brand and it is my second one and I do love it. I do make a lot of dough in mine and then make what ever with that. I just like letting the machine do the work. Those that quit using theirs due to weight gain says to me....yummy bread. Yes it is. If I used mine weekly I would mention the weight thing as well. Who can resist hot bread? No one at my house. Who ever wrote about the Hawaiian Bread in the box. Lucky you, can't find it where I live anymore, and we miss it!