Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   canning jellies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/canning-jellies-t128771.html)

fred singer 06-07-2011 10:39 AM

does anyone can with a steam canner.
I was wondering if when making jelly you use a steam canner or waterbath or none at all
I just got a steam canner

as hot as it is here I was hoping not have water bath my jelly

nycquilter 06-07-2011 10:42 AM

with jellies, I've only ever used water bath canning.

huntannette 06-07-2011 11:04 AM

same here

Originally Posted by nycquilter
with jellies, I've only ever used water bath canning.

Willa 06-07-2011 11:35 AM

I just filled the clean jars to almost 1/8 inch full then make sure rim is clean and put lid and ring on. The heat seals it when it cools. Has always worked for me.

fred singer 06-07-2011 12:59 PM

thank-you all I just had trouble with rhubarb & strawberry going bad they were sealed

hobo2000 06-07-2011 01:29 PM

I just finished 12 jars of Naval orange marmalade and did the 10 min water bath. I prefer that to the steamer which I use for meats, stews, tomatoes, and other high acid things.

Carol's Quilts 06-07-2011 03:33 PM

When I, my mom or my grandmother made jelly/jam/preserves, we always just used a layer of melted parafin wax. And we didn't use canning jars either. We saved appropriate-sized jars (from pickles, peanut butter, etc.) and used those for jelly. We all had a separate pan (or more likely an empty coffee can or something similar) for melting the wax. As the jelly cooled, the wax cooled and sealed the jar. I'm aware that that method is not advised nowadays, but it's been used for decades. None of us ever had a problem and the product would last for years. We never refrigerated our open jelly jars, either. My family went through it so fast it never had a chance to get moldy or whatever.

raedar63 06-07-2011 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
When I, my mom or my grandmother made jelly/jam/preserves, we always just used a layer of melted parafin wax. And we didn't use canning jars either. We saved appropriate-sized jars (from pickles, peanut butter, etc.) and used those for jelly. We all had a separate pan (or more likely an empty coffee can or something similar) for melting the wax. As the jelly cooled, the wax cooled and sealed the jar. I'm aware that that method is not advised nowadays, but it's been used for decades. None of us ever had a problem and the product would last for years. We never refrigerated our open jelly jars, either. My family went through it so fast it never had a chance to get moldy or whatever.

I mostly do freezer jams, but when I have done jelly in the past I use the wax method as well. I have also used water bath.

QuiltMom2 06-08-2011 04:57 AM

When you say "canning", I think "HOT!" I've used a waterbath for years and picked currants yesterday morning, so let's give a cheer for currant jelly!

Ramona Byrd 06-08-2011 05:42 AM

This week I opened a forgotten jar of 1999 Plum Jam. It was slightly discolored but tasted good.
When I made jam or jelly, I boiled it and put it in jars. The flat lids were kept in just less than boiling water and put on the clean tops fast, then the rings screwed down tightly. Later I would punch each top to see if it would pop down, if not it went into hot water for a boil. Then I'd let them set for a couple of days.

If it was thick, it was labeled jam or marmalade or jelly. If not, then it was labeled Pancake Syrup!!!