Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Christmas/Holiday Cookies from all 50 States (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/christmas-holiday-cookies-all-50-states-t68114.html)

mommamac 11-11-2010 02:13 PM

Don't really know if Maine has an official cookie - if it did, I'd think blueberry would fit the bill.

Blueberry Drop Cookies
Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 cup fresh blueberries
Directions

In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening, sugar, egg, milk, vanilla extract and lemon zest. Mix well after the addition of each ingredient. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; blend into the sugar mixture. Fold in the blueberries. Cover and chill for 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart.
Bake 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

BMP 11-11-2010 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nita

Originally Posted by gollytwo
New York cookie for me would really be a NYC cookie - the Black and White.
And, I don't bake so have no idea how it's made.

BLACK & WHITE COOKIES

1 c shortening
2 c sugar
3 eggs, well beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 c sour cream
5 c flour
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

In large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add well beaten eggs, vanilla & sour cream and mix well. In medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, b. powder and b. soda and mix well. Add dry ingreds to sour cream mixture. Drop cookies onto parchment-lined cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until bottom of cookie is light brown. Do not over-bake! Cool on cookie sheet for one minute and then remove to cooling rake to cool completely. Frost cookies on flat side with half chocolat and half vanilla. Makes about 4 dozen 3-inch cookies.

Disclaimer: While I do not claim this to be the "official" cookie from NY state, this is an old recipe that I have made for years and everyone loves them.

I am from upstate NY and we call them half moons sometimes the cookie part is chocolate and sometimes vanilla but always frosted on the flat side 1/2 choc. 1/2 vanilla

BMP 11-11-2010 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nita

Originally Posted by gollytwo
New York cookie for me would really be a NYC cookie - the Black and White.
And, I don't bake so have no idea how it's made.

BLACK & WHITE COOKIES

1 c shortening
2 c sugar
3 eggs, well beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 c sour cream
5 c flour
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

In large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add well beaten eggs, vanilla & sour cream and mix well. In medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, b. powder and b. soda and mix well. Add dry ingreds to sour cream mixture. Drop cookies onto parchment-lined cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until bottom of cookie is light brown. Do not over-bake! Cool on cookie sheet for one minute and then remove to cooling rake to cool completely. Frost cookies on flat side with half chocolat and half vanilla. Makes about 4 dozen 3-inch cookies.

Disclaimer: While I do not claim this to be the "official" cookie from NY state, this is an old recipe that I have made for years and everyone loves them.

I am from upstate NY and we call them half moons sometimes the cookie part is chocolate and sometimes vanilla but always frosted on the flat side 1/2 choc. 1/2 vanilla

donnaree59 11-11-2010 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by brendadawg
Never heard it called that, but I'll go for that. My cousin made them for me a few years ago, and I love them. (Of course, I'll eat most anything that has pecans in it!)

Where are you in Georgia, Donna?

Ever hear of Toomsboro? We're about 7 miles north of the "town" which has one convenience store, a post office, and a florist...

I love taking these to our church functions because our associate pastor is a Tech fan, and his whole family loves them!
So easy to make, and anyone who loves pecans will enjoy them.

Where are you from?

RedGarnet222 11-12-2010 07:39 PM

I googled our state cookie and two came up. One is called Gold Hill nuggets (from the comstock mine) and those are a rasin spice iced cookie from the eighteen hundreds. The official state cookie is a chocolate chip according to the state's official site.
But all that aside... LOL!
Here is my favorite to make ..

German Cheese Horns

2 3 oz packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup margerine, softened
2 egg yolks
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt

filling:
cup sugar
2 cups chopped pecans
1 tsp. cinnamon

Cream together cheese, margerine and yolks. Mix in flour and salt. Chill one hour or more. Roll out on powdered sugar-sprinkled surface, cut into 2 inch circles. Combine filling ingredients. Fill dough circles with one teaspoon nut mixture. Moisten one edge of the circle with egg white and fold in half, press lightly to seal. Then slightly pull the ends towards each other to make the horn.

Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees. cool on cookie rack. When cool, roll in powdered sugar. Makes 4 dozen
ps) this recipe is a soft dough and works best on a cool cold day.

RedGarnet222 11-13-2010 11:00 AM

Sorry that would be powdered sugar in the filling...