Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Classic Vintage Cookbook Suggestions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/classic-vintage-cookbook-suggestions-t313025.html)

tropit 11-08-2020 05:10 AM

Classic Vintage Cookbook Suggestions?

My dau wants to start collecting vintage and antique cookbooks, so I thought I would give here a couple for Christmas. There are all kinds of every day cookbooks out there on Ebay, but what are some of the "must have" classics that she will need to start her collection? Martha Steart and Julia child books come to mind. Any others that you can think of? Thanks.

bearisgray 11-08-2020 05:18 AM

How far back does she want to go.?

Are you thinking about what " the masses " used - ? Such as the Betty crocker cookbooks?

Which I learned have changed over the years.

Maybe specialty cookbooks such as wild game or breads?

tranum 11-08-2020 05:21 AM

I like old cookbooks put out by churches. In our area they’re readily available.

tropit 11-08-2020 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8431103)
How far back does she want to go.?

Are you thinking about what " the masses " used - ? Such as the Betty crocker cookbooks?

Which I learned have changed over the years.

Maybe specialty cookbooks such as wild game or breads?

I dunno...I'm thinking the masses, I guess. I'm online looking for Julia Child's, <I>Mastering the Art of French Cooking,</I> right now.

My time 11-08-2020 07:09 AM

The Purity cookbook. I lost my mom when I was 11. But this cookbook taught me so much. I still use it.

Onebyone 11-08-2020 07:25 AM

American Cookery by Amelia Simmons was the first published cookbook in America. Reprints are easy to find now.
I have a small collection of vintage cookbooks My favorites are (no particular order)

1.White Trash Cooking by Earnest M. Mickler
2. Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930's by Janet Van Amber Paske
3. The American Frugal Housewife By Mrs. Child
4. More with Less Cookbook for Mennonites on how to eat better and consume less by Doris Janzen Longacre.
5.Aunt Jenny's Favorite Recipes ( a booklet from a shortening company)

tropit 11-08-2020 07:28 AM

I've not heard of the Purity Cookbook. I'll have to check that out. I did find a Mc Call's cookbook for her. It is not hugely collectable, like Julia child's books, but my grandmother gave me a copy that she no longer used and my dau and I still make all kinds of things out of it. It has the best pies ever. I even bought myself another copy, because mine is barely holding together.

Another cookbook, that I'm looking for is, <I>Stocking Up,</I> by Rodale Press. It's a classic, "back to the lander," type of book and was written by the people who started the organic gardening movement. I have a copy. Maybe I'll just give it to her.

Martha Stewart is also on my list. There is a site called, "The Cookbook Village," that gives lots of good information about collecting cookbooks.

tropit 11-08-2020 07:30 AM

My dau would love the title, "White Trash Cooking."

MariaM 11-08-2020 09:19 AM

I still have my very old and ratty copy of the Purity cookbook. I think I may have been in junior high when I was grocery shopping with my mom and she bought it for me. The chocolate cake and the apple crisp are two of my favourite go-to recipes even now after over forty years!

FoxyLady 11-08-2020 09:20 AM

Look in your thrift shops such as Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc. They may have just what you want for a lot less money.