Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Clay cooker (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/clay-cooker-t311268.html)

tranum 06-06-2020 06:21 PM

Clay cooker

Found my clay cooker - hadn’t used for ages. Could be known by other names - it’s a terra cotta roaster. I made seasoned pork tenderloin, potatoes & onion in it - so flavorful. Next will be a whole chicken. I hear cooking magazines are featuring them again, it’s a throwback to 1970’s.

eparys 06-07-2020 03:06 AM

I had one years ago - lol - they were great!!

pocoellie 06-07-2020 03:50 AM

tranum-I'm glad you gave the before you cook tips, I bought a nice "terracotta" pot with lid at a yard sale last year but haven't used it yet. Thanks for the tips.

JT 06-07-2020 08:01 AM

Where are the before cooking tips?

charley26 06-07-2020 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by JT (Post 8391295)
Where are the before cooking tips?

Soak in cold water for about 10 - 15 minutes, blot dry. Place the pot and ingredients into a oven. Some clay dishes have a glazed bottom half on the inside, some don't - mine is not glazed,
Wash without soap/detergent etc, the unglazed clay will absorb, and it can affect your next cook/baking.

Irishrose2 06-10-2020 12:34 PM

I haven't used mine in a while, but I remember it made meat very tender and flavorful. I have some giant chicken breasts - hmmmm. Might be a good way to cook them so they aren't dry. Thank you for the reminder.

charley26 06-10-2020 12:45 PM

I made bread in mine this week. Yeast bread, second proving in the clay cooker (after soaking and blotting dry), into a cold oven at 220C for 30 mins, top removed and continue for 10 mins. The bread was delicious. Will be making bread using the clay cooker again on Friday. So, no need to waste 20 minutes power heating up the oven. Who knew.

tranum 06-10-2020 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by charley26 (Post 8392392)
I made bread in mine this week. Yeast bread, second proving in the clay cooker (after soaking and blotting dry), into a cold oven at 220C for 30 mins, top removed and continue for 10 mins. The bread was delicious. Will be making bread using the clay cooker again on Friday. So, no need to waste 20 minutes power heating up the oven. Who knew.

interesting !

Mkotch 06-11-2020 03:02 AM

Thanks for reminding me that I have one, shoved way back on a bottom shelf. I used to use it a lot and think I'll try bread in it. For American ovens, I think 425 degrees would work. And I think I'll brush a little olive oil on the inside of the bottom to make sure it doesn't stick.

charley26 06-11-2020 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch (Post 8392534)
Thanks for reminding me that I have one, shoved way back on a bottom shelf. I used to use it a lot and think I'll try bread in it. For American ovens, I think 425 degrees would work. And I think I'll brush a little olive oil on the inside of the bottom to make sure it doesn't stick.

I put parchment paper underneath the dough before proving in the clay pot. I read this tip online somewhere when I first looked at baking bread in the clay pot. I also sprinkled/dusted the parchment paper with a little semolina. The parchment paper made it very easy to remove the loaf from the pot too.