Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Coleslaw dressing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/coleslaw-dressing-t303489.html)

tranum 03-09-2019 05:56 AM

Coleslaw dressing

According to Pinterest, a little cafe has served this coleslaw since 1948. I tried it - thought it was very good. It’s been “modernized” by using shredded cabbage mix but that’s ok with me !

4 tsp. Vinegar
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup mayo
1/4 cup shredded carrots
2 bags coleslaw mix

sewbizgirl 03-09-2019 06:34 AM

My standard "dressing" is mayo, little apple cider vinegar, and stevia to sweeten slightly. I play with the proportions until it tastes right. Makes a yummy dressing for coleslaw mix.

nativetexan 03-09-2019 10:27 AM

they have coleslaw mix? did not know that.

NikkiLu 03-09-2019 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 8222722)
they have coleslaw mix? did not know that.

Yes, it is by the packaged lettuce mixes - very handy and not very expensive - it keeps a long time too.

pocoellie 03-09-2019 05:41 PM

I have a much easier dressing mix, and it's the only one that DH will eat. The recipe is:
1 teaspoon sugar
2 T. cider vinegar
3 T. mayo

This will make enough for a little more than the bag mix of slaw.

bakermom 03-10-2019 04:41 PM

We always used equal parts sugar, vinegar and oil at home. DH prefers the creamy style so when I make it for him I buy Marzetti's slaw dressing

romanojg 03-11-2019 03:24 AM

If you salt your cabbage and let it set for a while, it pulls the water out of it, then rinse and dry it. Your slaw will last a lot longer and not be standing in liquid after a day or two

Onebyone 03-11-2019 04:10 AM

I use to make my own dressing but now I like Ranch Cucumber dressing to use for coleslaw. Funny story about colesalw. The local Catholic church had a yearly spaghetti supper once a year. Everyone came for the slaw. It was fantastic. The lady in charge of making it wouldn't give anyone the dressing recipe. She made it herself. For years no one got it. When she was in hospital she gave the recipe to the lady who took over the kitchen at the church. After the lady died, the other woman said she wasn't making all that dressing by herself and gave the recipe out. Here is it if anyone is interested. Recipe is for one bag coleslaw cabbage.

Dressing:
2 ramen seasoning packets
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup veggie oil
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/8 tsp sesame oil

JustAbitCrazy 03-13-2019 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom (Post 8223452)
We always used equal parts sugar, vinegar and oil at home. DH prefers the creamy style so when I make it for him I buy Marzetti's slaw dressing

We like Marzetti's, too. That's all I ever use for coleslaw or deviled eggs.

bkay 03-13-2019 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu (Post 8222852)
Yes, it is by the packaged lettuce mixes - very handy and not very expensive - it keeps a long time too.

That's not my experience with Walmart (my closest store). They have their own brand which doesn't usually have many days left until the "use by" date. It usually goes stinky a couple of days before that "use by" date.

I now buy Dole brand at another store. It usually has more days until the "use by" date and it actually lasts until then.

bkay