Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Cornbread recipe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/cornbread-recipe-t147050.html)

quiltmom04 08-22-2011 11:10 AM

In had sweet cornbread at a restaurant this weekend that was to die for. It was so light - the consistency of white cake and just as sweet as could be. I'm looking for a recipe. Tried a google search and made one that seemed like it would work, but it wasn't sweet or light enough. It tasted fine, but not exactly what I was looking for. Anyone have a good recipe? THANKS!!

irishrose 08-22-2011 11:27 AM

Can you stir some cornmeal and sour cream into a white cake mix? Sounds like that would do the trick. Use the eggs, less water and cut down on the oil if you use full fat sour cream.

ploverwi2 08-22-2011 11:31 AM

You might like this one. I have had it for some time from a friend.

SWEET AND LIGHT CORNBREAD

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tbsps baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted
METHOD:
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, sift together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Whisk milk, eggs and butter into the dry ingredients. Continue to blend until all lumps are removed, taking care not to over-whip. Spray an 8-inch-square baking pan with vegetable spray or lightly grease with butter. Pour batter into the greased pan and bake 20-25 minutes. NOTE: 1/2 cup fresh kernel corn and 1 tbsp chopped jalapenos may be added to this recipe for an interesting twist.

LovinMySoldier 08-22-2011 11:46 AM

I love the ones at famous daves. Looked up the recipe but mine weren't quite right. Close but not the same Cake mix 2 kinds of cornbread and then a jalapeņo glaze. what restaurant did you go to? A lot of times you can google what it was and the recipe is out there somewhere :)

quiltmom04 08-22-2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Can you stir some cornmeal and sour cream into a white cake mix? Sounds like that would do the trick. Use the eggs, less water and cut down on the oil if you use full fat sour cream.

I hadn't thought of that! Thanks!

mtspools 08-22-2011 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ploverwi2

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted
METHOD:
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, sift together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Whisk milk, eggs and butter into the dry ingredients. Continue to blend until all lumps are removed, taking care not to over-whip. Spray an 8-inch-square baking pan with vegetable spray or lightly grease with butter. Pour batter into the greased pan and bake 20-25 minutes. NOTE: 1/2 cup fresh kernel corn and 1 tbsp chopped jalapenos may be added to this recipe for an interesting twist.

MMMM GOING TO TRY THIS -- I LOVE GOOD CORNBREAD.

quiltmom04 08-22-2011 11:47 AM

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted
METHOD:

Sounds good; I'll give it a try!

Scrap Happy 08-22-2011 04:23 PM

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted
METHOD:

Sounds wonderful! I've saved this one. Thank you.

alleyoop1 08-23-2011 02:49 AM

The best recipe I have found for corn bread is to buy a box of Krusteaz Natural Honey Corn Bread mix and follow the directions on the box!

quiltmom04 08-23-2011 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1
The best recipe I have found for corn bread is to buy a box of Krusteaz Natural Honey Corn Bread mix and follow the directions on the box!

I've seen that in the store, but never tried it. But I will!