Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Cream of chicken soup (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/cream-chicken-soup-t197285.html)

TanyaL 08-11-2012 03:57 AM

Cream of chicken soup

Does anyone have a recipe for cream of chicken soup that their family truly loves? Preferably one made from scratch, since I have a lot of diet restrictions that I have to work with. I can't use canned soup as an ingredient. Or a recipe for chicken pot pie? Thanks in advance.

craftymatt2 08-12-2012 07:24 AM

I am going to be waiting for this one, i hope someone responds.

Dakota Girl 08-12-2012 10:22 AM

In North Dakota, we have a large population of "Germans from Russia" They make a soup called Knoeple (sp). I believe that is has a creamy chicken base, also small dumplings. Does anyone have this recipe? It is so good !!!!!!

d.rickman 08-12-2012 06:23 PM

Chicken Pot Pies - Makes 2 pies
2 cups frozen veggies or leftover veggies from turkey dinner
2 cups cooked turkey or cooked cubed chicken
1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup flour, 2 cups milk, 1 tsp. poultry seasoning or to taste
2 tbsp chicken in a mug or chicken bouillon to taste

Preheat Oven to 400. In a large saucepan, heat butter until completely melted. Add flour.
Stir constantly for around 2 minutes. Add milk and spices. You can add salt and pepper if you want, but there is a lot of sodium in the chicken bouillon. Cook until thick, stirring constantly. Stir in meat and veggies. I like to use frozen mixed veggies and brussel sprouts. Spoon filling into 2 pie shells and Bake for 20-30 minutes until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. If topping gets too brown, cover with aluminum foil.

Pastry - never fails on me.
1 lb. shortening
5 cups flour Mix these 3 ingredients until they form little balls & are crumbly
1 tsp baking powder

Add 1 can of 7-UP Roll out on a floured surface and cut into your shape required.

This can be frozen for up to a year.

Cheers, Donna

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 08-13-2012 04:15 AM

I'll be watching this too. I'd love to have a healthy cream of chicken soup recipe.

puppy 08-13-2012 06:21 AM

Go to martha stewert. Then look fo mad hungry..she has a great recipe for pot pie and for the crust..actually hers is for hot pockets, but i just make pot pies with it...yummy

quiltmom04 08-13-2012 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 5432760)
Does anyone have a recipe for cream of chicken soup that their family truly loves? Preferably one made from scratch, since I have a lot of diet restrictions that I have to work with. I can't use canned soup as an ingredient. Or a recipe for chicken pot pie? Thanks in advance.

Well, if you were from PA, chicken pot pie would be with like a thick chicken soup. And what they others are calling chiken pot pie, we call ' baked chicken pie'. I can give you a recipe for the more soup kind. What are your dietary restrictions?

Latrinka 08-13-2012 08:15 AM

mmmmm, sounds good!

TanyaL 08-13-2012 09:56 AM

Basically just no wheat and no potassium. Thank you.

Barb67 08-13-2012 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by d.rickman (Post 5436838)
Chicken Pot Pies - Makes 2 pies
2 cups frozen veggies or leftover veggies from turkey dinner
2 cups cooked turkey or cooked cubed chicken
1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup flour, 2 cups milk, 1 tsp. poultry seasoning or to taste
2 tbsp chicken in a mug or chicken bouillon to taste

Preheat Oven to 400. In a large saucepan, heat butter until completely melted. Add flour.
Stir constantly for around 2 minutes. Add milk and spices. You can add salt and pepper if you want, but there is a lot of sodium in the chicken bouillon. Cook until thick, stirring constantly. Stir in meat and veggies. I like to use frozen mixed veggies and brussel sprouts. Spoon filling into 2 pie shells and Bake for 20-30 minutes until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. If topping gets too brown, cover with aluminum foil.

Pastry - never fails on me.
1 lb. shortening
5 cups flour Mix these 3 ingredients until they form little balls & are crumbly
1 tsp baking powder

Add 1 can of 7-UP Roll out on a floured surface and cut into your shape required.

This can be frozen for up to a year.

Cheers, Donna

Love your avitar - my baby (Rennie) is a miniature poodle and he's the love of my life. :) When you say that the crust can be frozen for up to a year, in what format can it be frozen? Should you roll it out and put in pans, keep in a ball, etc.?