Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cream of chicken soup

Cream of chicken soup

Does anyone have a recipe for cream of chicken soup that their family truly loves? Preferably one made from scratch, since I have a lot of diet restrictions that I have to work with. I can't use canned soup as an ingredient. Or a recipe for chicken pot pie? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    I am going to be waiting for this one, i hope someone responds.
    Mary

In North Dakota, we have a large population of "Germans from Russia" They make a soup called Knoeple (sp). I believe that is has a creamy chicken base, also small dumplings. Does anyone have this recipe? It is so good !!!!!!
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

Chicken Pot Pies - Makes 2 pies
    2 cups frozen veggies or leftover veggies from turkey dinner
    2 cups cooked turkey or cooked cubed chicken
    1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup flour, 2 cups milk, 1 tsp. poultry seasoning or to taste
    2 tbsp chicken in a mug or chicken bouillon to taste

Preheat Oven to 400. In a large saucepan, heat butter until completely melted. Add flour.
    Stir constantly for around 2 minutes. Add milk and spices. You can add salt and pepper if you want, but there is a lot of sodium in the chicken bouillon. Cook until thick, stirring constantly. Stir in meat and veggies. I like to use frozen mixed veggies and brussel sprouts. Spoon filling into 2 pie shells and Bake for 20-30 minutes until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. If topping gets too brown, cover with aluminum foil.

Pastry - never fails on me.
    1 lb. shortening
    5 cups flour Mix these 3 ingredients until they form little balls & are crumbly
    1 tsp baking powder

Add 1 can of 7-UP Roll out on a floured surface and cut into your shape required.

This can be frozen for up to a year.

Cheers, Donna
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

I'll be watching this too. I'd love to have a healthy cream of chicken soup recipe.

Go to martha stewert. Then look fo mad hungry..she has a great recipe for pot pie and for the crust..actually hers is for hot pockets, but i just make pot pies with it...yummy

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    Does anyone have a recipe for cream of chicken soup that their family truly loves? Preferably one made from scratch, since I have a lot of diet restrictions that I have to work with. I can't use canned soup as an ingredient. Or a recipe for chicken pot pie? Thanks in advance.
    Well, if you were from PA, chicken pot pie would be with like a thick chicken soup. And what they others are calling chiken pot pie, we call ' baked chicken pie'. I can give you a recipe for the more soup kind. What are your dietary restrictions?

mmmmm, sounds good!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Basically just no wheat and no potassium. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by d.rickman View Post
    Chicken Pot Pies - Makes 2 pies
    2 cups frozen veggies or leftover veggies from turkey dinner
    2 cups cooked turkey or cooked cubed chicken
    1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup flour, 2 cups milk, 1 tsp. poultry seasoning or to taste
    2 tbsp chicken in a mug or chicken bouillon to taste

Preheat Oven to 400. In a large saucepan, heat butter until completely melted. Add flour.
    Stir constantly for around 2 minutes. Add milk and spices. You can add salt and pepper if you want, but there is a lot of sodium in the chicken bouillon. Cook until thick, stirring constantly. Stir in meat and veggies. I like to use frozen mixed veggies and brussel sprouts. Spoon filling into 2 pie shells and Bake for 20-30 minutes until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. If topping gets too brown, cover with aluminum foil.

Pastry - never fails on me.
    1 lb. shortening
    5 cups flour Mix these 3 ingredients until they form little balls & are crumbly
    1 tsp baking powder

Add 1 can of 7-UP Roll out on a floured surface and cut into your shape required.

This can be frozen for up to a year.

Cheers, Donna
    Love your avitar - my baby (Rennie) is a miniature poodle and he's the love of my life. When you say that the crust can be frozen for up to a year, in what format can it be frozen? Should you roll it out and put in pans, keep in a ball, etc.?

Just found this online the otherday & printed it out...so havent tried yet..but it gets good reviews: good for celiac disease & fat free

Called soup or sauce mix - makes a batch equal to 9 cans of cream soup

2 cups powdered nonfat dry milk
    3/4 cup cornstarch
    1/4 cup chicken bouillon
    2 tablespoons dried onion flakes

directions
    combine all ingredients/mix well/ store in recloseable bag or air tight container..no need to regrigerate

To substitute for 1 can of cream soup:
    combine 1/3 cup dry mix with 1-1/4 cup cold water..whisk till blended
    cook & stir on stove top or microwave till thickend.
    Add thickened mix to your recipeis as you would a can of soup.

FOR CHICKEN POT PIE:
    1/3 CUP DRY MIX
    1-1/4 CUP COLD WATER
    1CUP COOKED CUBED CHICKEN
    1PKG FROZEN MIXED VEGTABLES

Whish mix with water till blended..cook and stir on stovetop or microwave till thick. in 9" pie plate combine sauce, veggies & chicken.
    For topping--
    1 egg
    1/2 cup milk
    1 cup bisquick
    combine all & pour over chicken mix - bake @ 400 for 30 min till golden brown.

hope this helps......not sure if you can use bisquick for celiac..but the soup mix should be OK!

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post