Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Deviled eggs - egg salad (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/deviled-eggs-egg-salad-t281559.html)

jamsbuying 08-25-2016 09:49 AM

I like Clausens pickles in my egg salad.

Sandi 08-25-2016 03:00 PM

I use Hellman's mayo , chop the eggs, and add a touch of minced fresh onion. Sometimes I add pepper and a tad of salt. No relish for me or vinegar or etc. These are my great grandmother's and grand mother's recipes

mac 08-26-2016 02:14 PM

For some reason, I am not fond of adding anything sweet on my eggs. Just a personal preference. In fact, if we go to a restaurant where they put pancakes and eggs and bacon on the same plate, I will always eat the eggs first, lest they get pancake syrup on them.

Regarding Deviled eggs or Egg salad, I use: French's mustard, Best Food Mayonnaise, salt and pepper as the basics. When I want something special, I'll add either Dill Weed (not a lot) or Beau Monde seasoning instead of the salt (from Spice Island) or chopped up crispy bacon. The chopped up crispy bacon seems to always win, hands down.

mac 08-26-2016 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 7636211)
Rob has taking over the cooking and I never ask what's in something, just eat it. I never want to get the job back :)

Smart girl.

My husband rarely cooks for me, but when I came home from the hospital last year, I couldn't do anything for 3 weeks. His idea of cooking is hot dogs, bologna sandwiches, hot dogs and any kind of take out and did I mention hot dogs?

I was smart to buy a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables that only had to be cleaned and served. Even though I bought a lot of frozen food that he only had to put in the oven and I thought would be really easy for him, he burned or under-cooked everything. With the exception of under-cooked foods that were not healthy to eat, I ate everything with a smile on my face and never questioned the strange sounds or burned smells coming from the kitchen. Fortunately I lived through this ordeal and lost 10 pounds, to boot. All's well that ends well, so they say.

Auj 09-24-2016 08:42 AM

I love this thread. My husband has a theory: No matter how many deviled eggs one takes to a potluck, there will be no leftovers. I often take deviled eggs since I have a wonderful Tupperware stacking egg holder that fits in a cake taker. It holds a dozen eggs, two dozen deviled eggs. We do not have leftovers no matter how small the gathering is.

Deviled eggs: Mash yolks and add mayo (Best Foods with Olive Oil), and a little salt. If the filling is a bit dry, I might stir in a few drops of sweet pickle juice until it is the consistency I like. I then pipe the filling into the white halves. I realize that some of you will think it is too much trouble, but think of this. If I pipe, I can go around very quickly and fill the whites. If I don't pipe, I must pick up each white individually, spoon in the filling, and do this for each one. The time for each is approximately the same.

Egg salad: Chop up the eggs. I like to do this quickly by using an egg slicer. I put the eggs in and slice it the short way, then turn it the long way and slice again. This makes long slices, but I just give them a few quick chops with a chopper and it is done. I add mayo (same as above) and salt to taste. If I am the only one eating, I might add sweet pickle relish, but usually not. That is it.

Potato Salad: Potatoes chopped into very small pieces, eggs chopped as described above, small amount of onion chopped very fine (maybe even minced as I don't care for large pieces of raw onion), dill pickles cut into very small cubes, salt if needed, and a sprinkle of Lawry's seasoning salt. Mix with enough mayo to hold all together. Add pickle juice if needed. I also am a Southern girl and people ask for this recipe all the time. The main secret is the chopper. We use a hand chopper with a handle and a solid cutting base. I have seen these with serrated bases, and also with an inner circle for cutting donuts. When they ask, I tell people that first they need to watch my mother make potato salad every week for fifteen years, then . . . They are laughing by then, but since few really reproduce it the way I make it, maybe I am not so far off!

Manalto 10-11-2016 05:01 AM

deviled eggs (southern) - minced onion, sweet relish. salt and pepper, mustard, mayonnaise, sprinkle with paprika
deviled eggs (mine) - minced shallot, chopped spanish olives, celery seed, mustard, mayonnaise, cayenne, sprinkle with paprika
deviled eggs (pseudo-Japanese) - wasabi powder, rice vinegar, mayonnaise, top with pickled ginger
egg salad - chopped onion, chopped celery, mayonnaise, salt and pepper

mayonnaise is Hellman's or store brand (same)