Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   The difference in pickles? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/difference-pickles-t226559.html)

DogHouseMom 07-27-2013 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy (Post 6198338)
My husband likes green tomato pickles.

I ADORE green tomato pickles!!! Vlassic used to make a decent one, but no longer. I can never find green tomato pickles.

leatheflea 07-27-2013 06:40 AM

Green tomato pickles? I've gotta search for that one!

bearisgray 07-27-2013 06:55 AM

I vaguely recall my Mom making a sweet cucumber people that took days (weeks?) to complete the process. About the main thing I remember is that they were sliced about 1/2 inch thick m- and they were very sweet and crisp!

She started making 'hot' bread and butter pickles that she froze! They were very good - and I have no idea how she made them.

bakermom 07-27-2013 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6198903)
I vaguely recall my Mom making a sweet cucumber people that took days (weeks?) to complete the process. About the main thing I remember is that they were sliced about 1/2 inch thick m- and they were very sweet and crisp!

She started making 'hot' bread and butter pickles that she froze! They were very good - and I have no idea how she made them.

Must be similar to what we used to make-14 day pickles. Somewhere I have the recipe.........but what i remember is putting them in a crock with lime and water and putting a weighted plate on top to keep them submerged. they ended up being a real crisp pickle. mom used to make bread and butter pickles, 14 day pickles, sweet relish, dills and yellow peppers(Hungarian half hots ). They used to put the peppers on sandwiches. My brother still makes them but i never cared for them.

GingerK 07-27-2013 10:22 AM

Bearisgray, they were probably 7 or 8 day pickles. You do something to them every day for 7 days and then can on the eighth. My mom used to make them in an old earthenware crock.

i just googled Freezer bread and butter pickles and came up with a bunch of recipes. Hmmm...interesting...

nanacc 07-27-2013 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea (Post 6198555)
Do you slice them or leave them whole? Leave the seeds in? We pickled whole jalapenos last year but not with the B&B mixture. Ross loves "HOT" Pickles so I put hot pepper shake in the last batch of B&B pickles.

I slice them. I try to make pepper slices at least 1/4" to make certain they have some 'body'. Sounds like nonsense, but I mean that I cut them thick enough that you don't have 'stringy' mess. Leave seeds, definitely! I also slice the onions and bell peppers fairly thick. Last year, my quilting neighbor also had a big garden(great for me). She brought me bags of jalapenos(red and green), so they made a prettier batch. Also got lots of small pods of okra to pickle. Always add hot chili or cayenne peppers to that!

nanacc 07-27-2013 10:47 AM

The sweet and crisp that Bearisgray refers to is probably like DM made and I think they referred to them as 'lime pickles'. Not sure if the recipe is in the ones I have. She also added green color to make them more colorful. The only sweet pickle that I really liked(with ham or other pork).

leatheflea 07-27-2013 01:28 PM

14 day pickles! And I thought overnight was bad.

bakermom 07-27-2013 02:47 PM

Yeah, now i can't believe all the canning/freezing my folks did! along with their full time jobs ! Dad farmed and drove a school bus for extra income, mom was a clerk at the local grocery. we had huge, huge gardens and a lot of fruit trees. nothing went to waste. After supper the kitchen was cleaned and they both worked on whatever vegetables or fruit was ready to preserve. sometimes till midnight. then they went to bed and did the same thing over the next day. As kids we were expected to help weed, pick, clean, and can, too.

misspriss 07-27-2013 02:47 PM

Don't forget the cinnamon stick in sweet pickles along with whole cloves.....