Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   The difference in pickles? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/difference-pickles-t226559.html)

QuiltE 07-27-2013 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by misspriss (Post 6199510)
Don't forget the cinnamon stick in sweet pickles along with whole cloves.....

Oh yes ... the cinnamon stick!
I just couldn't understand cinnamon in pickles ... to me, as a kid, cinnamon meant dessert, cookies, rice pudding and the like! Never pickles. And then as I got older ... I understood! :D

clhr 07-28-2013 06:49 AM

Did all of that with my grandmother who took care of my brother & me growing up. Loved the smells & did it after I was married too until I went back to driving the 18 wheelers for my folks. It was not the same as doing it with grandma she is also the one that taught me to sew & quilt. Think that is why there was no obesity in that era.

Vat 07-28-2013 07:38 AM

You might want to try your hand at making dill pickles. They are a nice change to the sweet.

leatheflea 07-28-2013 07:51 AM

Who would have ever thought that pickles would be a great topic on the QB! ...LOL I've decided to pickle some jalapenos this afternoon. You gals have such wonderful ideas!

QuiltE 07-28-2013 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Vat (Post 6200748)
You might want to try your hand at making dill pickles. They are a nice change to the sweet.

........ and sooooooooo easy!

farmquilter 07-28-2013 12:47 PM

Am with you, judylg, about making fridge pickles, just me now but DH liked the B&B pickles canned. Lots of memories in the cellar to use up.

Greenheron 07-28-2013 02:44 PM

End-of-Garden pickles are oom, nom, nom too. I taught myself to can from the Ball Canning Book and some recipes from the Farm Journal Cookbook. Jams and pickles were always my favorites. Golden Glow pickles were made with cukes that escaped into the weeds and grew as big as blimps. Peeled, seeded and cut into nice chunks they made a tasty pickle. Lime pickles have a nice crunch and color but I never had success with any of the longer process recipes.

adamae 07-28-2013 06:22 PM

When I used to can pickles, my B & B pickles had mustard and celery seeds along with onions and spices...no garlic. The sweet pickles were easier and had spices , no celery seed, and of course they both had vinegar and sugar. Love B & B's.

nanacc 07-28-2013 09:57 PM

I wish I could make the Kosher dills like DM made! They were great. Of course, with cayenne pepper added. Last batch we tried, couldn't get the crispness she did! I helped her, but most of her canning was done without written recipe! Why didn't I think to take notes??

QuilterMomma 08-01-2013 12:27 PM

My mom made what she called cinnamon crisp pickles. They are so delicious, sweet though. The recipe included cinammon sticks, red hot candies, red food coloring, and the sugar and cloves, I think a couple of other spices, but they take 10 days to make. It is a great recipe for your larger cucs that have gotten to big for pickles. You peel them, core them, then slice. Put in a brine of water and lime. I have made them, yes it is a lot of work, but so worth it.