Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Dinner Rolls with an Egg Shell type of crust (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/dinner-rolls-egg-shell-type-crust-t215449.html)

SewSassy 03-04-2013 07:36 AM

Dinner Rolls with an Egg Shell type of crust

We were recently on a cruise and one of the things that was memorable (other than the sun and warm weather) were dinner rolls. They were both white and whole wheat with a crust that shattered like egg shells. I have tried in the past to make rolls with a crust, but usually end up with an artesian type of roll with a heavy crust. Does anyone have a recipe for this egg shell type of crust roll or any suggestions? TYIA

Butterflyblue 03-04-2013 08:46 AM

What was the interior of the roll like?

Was the shattery crust smooth all over, or cracked in places? I've seen recipes (dutch tiger bread) that have a mix containing rice flour brushed over the top. It cracks as the roll rises during baking.

It doesn't sound like anything I've ever had/made but more information might help.

It is possible that they were a sort of artisan bread, but the superior steam generated in professional ovens made the crust thinner than you got at home.

EasyPeezy 03-04-2013 09:57 AM

It's called Dutch Crunch Bread or Tiger Bread. Does it look like this?
http://www.brighteyedbaker.com/2013/...a-tiger-bread/

Tartan 03-04-2013 10:00 AM

​Oh man, now I want homemade bread/rolls and butter!

SewSassy 03-04-2013 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue (Post 5903573)
What was the interior of the roll like?

Was the shattery crust smooth all over, or cracked in places? I've seen recipes (dutch tiger bread) that have a mix containing rice flour brushed over the top. It cracks as the roll rises during baking.

It doesn't sound like anything I've ever had/made but more information might help.

It is possible that they were a sort of artisan bread, but the superior steam generated in professional ovens made the crust thinner than you got at home.

The interior of the roll was soft similar to regular rolls and you probably are right...I don't have the ability to make "superior steam" as in a professional oven. The best I could manage is a spray bottle. The outside of the crust was smooth..The Dutch Crunch or Tiger Bread is "rough" looking and these were very smooth. Thanks for all of your help

Butterflyblue 03-04-2013 02:35 PM

There are a couple of ways to get more steam - one is to preheat a pan or skillet (not one that you care about) on the bottom rack. When you put the bread in to bake, you put a ladle-full of water into the preheated pan. It almost instantly vaporizes. You have to be careful not to burn yourself. Shut the door quickly to trap the steam.

See, the fact that there is a hard shell/crust makes me think it is a dough without much added fat (oil, eggs, butter, etc.) because all the oils in rolls usually keep the crust soft.

Sorry, I still have no idea what kind of rolls they were. I'm very intrigued, though.

Butterflyblue 03-04-2013 02:43 PM

Okay, I did a quick internet search and found a mention of the "Egg Shell Rolls" recipe in Bernard Clayton's "The Complete Book of Breads". Which I own, but it has 300 recipes, so I've never tried this one.

The description reads "Egg whites, whipped to a light peak, are used in this dough to produce a thin, crisp, paper-shell crust which will keep the rolls fresh and delicious for a long period of time."

If you want to give the recipe a try, P.M. me and I can copy it out and send to you. There's no mention of steam in the recipe - apparently for this one the secret to the crust is in the egg whites.

quiltmom04 03-05-2013 05:41 AM

I get a pretty good crust by basting the tops of my rolls with beat up egg white and about a tsp water. Then you can add a shallow pan of water in the oven to give off steam. I've heard throwing in an ice cube works, but I've never tried it.

daisylil 03-05-2013 05:59 AM

Look up crusty european hard rolls , they take forever to make but Mmmmmmmm we call them HardBakes in the UK :)

quilter68 03-05-2013 07:27 AM

Another receipe to try with the chocolate gravy! It is going to be a very good day.