Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Do You Reuse Your Canning Lids? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/do-you-reuse-your-canning-lids-t198587.html)

bearisgray 08-26-2012 03:07 AM

I reuse rings and jars. I would NEVER reuse a lid for anything I was going to process!

Exception: For pickles I would reuse those old zinc lids that had the white glass in the top - with new rubber rings, though.

When I read about some of the methods that have been used to preserve/can foods over the years - open kettle, for one - it does make me wonder how so many of us survived so long!

Karen1956 08-26-2012 03:41 AM

Never, ever use old lids. The seal will not last. You can, however, reuse rings and, of course, the jars.

Edie 08-26-2012 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by sweet (Post 5466126)
Although I have not canned lately, we always had new lids. Better be safe than sorry. The cost for lids is small compared to a visit to a doc or hospital.

DO NOT USE LIDS MORE THAN ONCE. THAT IS JUST PLAIN DUMB. I use only Kerr or Ball jars, I save the rings and sterilize them along with the jars and I always put the new lids in hot water (on the stove - gentle bubble), to soften the red ring and make it better for sealing. All the work that you put into canning and the procedure is down the tubes. I wouldn't even touch that food in the jar. Like #1 Mother always says "DO IT RIGHT OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL!"

I hate to be tough like that, but Golly Gee, you could be making up some really good poison there! They don't make instructions to be thrown away. And when you are canning, you want the most sanitary conditions in which to work because that is food to eat and not get sick on! The only time you put a jar in your refrigerator after it has gone through the canning process is when it doesn't ping. And the reason for that is because you probably didn't wipe off the edge of the jar!

I can't understand that person using a used lid. Good Gravy Marie! Edie

Steady Stiching 08-26-2012 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by sweet (Post 5466126)
Although I have not canned lately, we always had new lids. Better be safe than sorry. The cost for lids is small compared to a visit to a doc or hospital.

Heartily agree, I reuse them only if the item is going in the freezer.

carolaug 08-26-2012 04:43 AM

We have been canning all weekend. We only use new lids. We also freeze a few. I do like canning since it takes up less noticable space in the cellar. We do 100 jars of tomatoe sauce.

KyKaren1949 08-26-2012 04:50 AM

The new lids are a small price to pay to not have to worry about food poisoning. It's just not worth it. I feel like I'm saving enough money just canning my own grown vegetables without worrying about the seals.

gennie1950 08-26-2012 04:52 AM

I always buy the flat lids new. But like the idea of saving used ones for beans and pastas. I will try to do that from now on. I have started saving small store bought jars and lids for jellies and jams, and they really do seal. I am so glad I learned of this. I just haven't gotten the nerve to seal them in the microwave yet. good luck. I just finished 30lbs of pickled garlic. I am taking a break for a week or two.

Craftypigg 08-26-2012 05:32 AM

When I empty a jar, I put all three pieces in dishwasher, thn turn the lid upside down, put on shelf to reuse next year. Ring and old lid keeps dirt, bugs etc out and protects the edge of the jar from getting chipped. I never use old lids to reseal jars - just jar and rings.

bakermom 08-26-2012 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5468381)
I reuse rings and jars. I would NEVER reuse a lid for anything I was going to process!

Exception: For pickles I would reuse those old zinc lids that had the white glass in the top - with new rubber rings, though.

When I read about some of the methods that have been used to preserve/can foods over the years - open kettle, for one - it does make me wonder how so many of us survived so long!

Agree with you there!! I have all my mom's canning recipes that we used for years. This summer DDs wanted to try canning and asked for them. I told them"No way!" and bought a new Blue Book for them.

It is just not worth the risk.

oleganny 08-26-2012 07:34 AM

We never re-use flats for canning, however we do use the old (good condition ones) for storing dry goods & for vac-packing in jars.