Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Do You Reuse Your Canning Lids? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/do-you-reuse-your-canning-lids-t198587.html)

CindyA 08-25-2012 04:16 AM

Do You Reuse Your Canning Lids?

We had always reused the lids if they were in good shape and the seal looked good. My (frugal) friend returned some jars without the lids. When I asked her about it she said she had always used new ones every time she canned. Do you reuse your lids or get new every time? I just hate throwing away lids that look brand new!

I found a great catalog for supplies: www.KitchenKrafts.com I've placed one order and was happy with the quality of product. It's so hard to find what I need in stores around here. Also, I'm usually too late in the season deciding what I'll need and places are sold out.

My house already smells like a pickle factory today! I'm trying the Company Best Pickle recipe out of my Better Homes and Gardens canning book. Love that little book.

Annaquilts 08-25-2012 04:37 AM

Overal I do not but I have made jam before using old store jars from food and just reused the lids that came with that. I did store them in the frig though. I would be hard pressed to reuse lids, the round top part not the ring, on foods that I store on the shelf. I would never use reused lids for canned beans etc. Canning is so much work and with some of the foods you have to be extra careful.

mizkyp 08-25-2012 04:41 AM

I use new lids every year. I reuse the rings and jars though.

sweet 08-25-2012 04:44 AM

Although I have not canned lately, we always had new lids. Better be safe than sorry. The cost for lids is small compared to a visit to a doc or hospital.

mltquilt 08-25-2012 05:16 AM

Haven't canned in years, but do remember we always used new lids. Too much chance of possible spoilage or contamination.

mltquilt

lillybeck 08-25-2012 07:03 AM

My friend and I have always reused lids in canningg. They need to be inspected to make sure the seal on the round lid is still in good shape. I would not use any that are rusty or look worn. My friend has canned beans from yrs ago still and they are good.

barny 08-25-2012 07:07 AM

Although I haven't canned anything in a long while, I would never use the flats again to can. We always used new, but old [good] rings. The flats could get air in them and you would be in trouble.

bakermom 08-25-2012 09:12 AM

Lids?? never, it's a one use item. Now the rings, yes.

Jo M 08-25-2012 09:23 AM

I always use new lids and reuse the rings when canning.

I do use the old lids to store things like rice, dried beans, etc. I find that storing 1/2 an onion in a short wide-mouth jar in the fridge works really well. No smell and it lasts a lot longer too. (Chopped doesn't last as long)

LoisM 08-25-2012 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jo M (Post 5466810)
I always use new lids and reuse the rings when canning.

I do use the old lids to store things like rice, dried beans, etc. I find that storing 1/2 an onion in a short wide-mouth jar in the fridge works really well. No smell and it lasts a lot longer too. (Chopped doesn't last as long)

Great idea about storing a cut onion! Thanks!