Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Do You Reuse Your Canning Lids? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/do-you-reuse-your-canning-lids-t198587.html)

amyjo 08-27-2012 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by sweet (Post 5466126)
Although I have not canned lately, we always had new lids. Better be safe than sorry. The cost for lids is small compared to a visit to a doc or hospital.

Good way to get salmanella. Lids that have been used once are not good to use again, altho I have made jam using the jars jam comes in with those lids. The other lids used for pickles, veggies etc need to be new in order to make sure you get a good seal. Once used they don't do that. My MIL would be 100 yr old now if she was alive and one thing she always stressed when we canned was new lids. And if a jar is nicked on the rim do not use it either because it won't seal. She was one who canned anything and everything, and I learned a lot from her. She always said it was safer to just not reuse lids unless you are storing something in the fridge as left overs etc.

carolynjo 08-27-2012 07:06 AM

You should never use canning lids a second time! Too much danger from botulism. I, do, also reuse jelly jars or pickle jars for jellies and jams. They seal very well. But, I do keep them in a spare fridge after I can the jellies.

orangeroom 08-27-2012 07:09 AM

I never re-use the lid.

riutzelj 08-27-2012 07:18 AM

to be perfectly safe, the lids aren't to be re-used for food that is going to be processed and stored unrefrigerated. i reuse them for stuff i'm storing in the refrigerator or freezing.
there is a "new" old system out there this year: reusable plastic white lids with detached rubber rings that are one use. the rubber rings is a reversion back to the rubber rings of the glass jar lids with the wire bale. the rubber on either the old style Ball and Kerr lids is what does the actual sealing once it it is heated and stays sealed because of the vacuum created by the processing. the rubber rings on the detachable system does the same

JoyjoyMarie 08-27-2012 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by mizkyp (Post 5466119)
I use new lids every year. I reuse the rings and jars though.

Me too - rings and jars, not the rubber sealed lids themselves.

reeskylr 08-27-2012 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by mizkyp (Post 5466119)
I use new lids every year. I reuse the rings and jars though.

Same here, I never reuse the lids unless it is just to put over something I am using right away in the fridge. No canning with old lids.

karate lady 08-27-2012 09:18 AM

I only use the old lids when I wash my jars and store them. It keeps the dirt and dust out til I am ready to use them. otherwise. no...

MimiBug123 08-27-2012 09:22 AM

ALWAYS use new lids. Some things are just made to be disposable!

sunny42539 08-27-2012 01:04 PM

The only thing I would reuse lids for is pickles.

quiltsRfun 08-27-2012 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by karate lady (Post 5471806)
I only use the old lids when I wash my jars and store them. It keeps the dirt and dust out til I am ready to use them. otherwise. no...

Same here. It's just not worth taking the chance.