Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Doesn't Everyone Know This? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/doesnt-everyone-know-t205167.html)

LenaBeena 11-05-2012 09:23 AM

Doesn't Everyone Know This?

My friends and I , all in our 60's and 70's recently attended a cooking school given by a popular recipe magazine. I will not repeat all the snide remarks from our husbands about learning to cook at our ages!!! We said if they wanted to eat again they should keep quiet!!! Anyway we went to the event and enjoyed tasty samples, received a few free nick-nacks, laughed at the comedian, and won a years subscription to the magazine. We watched the cooking demonstrations and whispered among ourselves at what we could substitute for their very expensive ingredients. Then came the 'clincher". The speaker promised to give us the "best tip ever" to use when cooking. We waited through the whole long selling bit and finally he said to get ready to write it down. Pencils were poised, breaths held, eyes glued on him and here it came................."When you have a bit of sauce left in a jar, add a few spoons of water, shake it and you will get more out." HUH? THAT WAS THE BEST TIP EVER? My friends and I looked around at all the hundreds of women, many our age, who were frantically writing and nodding to each other and saying what a great idea. We were stunned! Doesn't everyone know this?

barny 11-05-2012 09:31 AM

I think that is hilarious! Don't you? What have these women been doing? ha,ha. Lena, I'm 83 and I tell my husband if we had a big recession, we could get by on beans and cornbread.

icon17 11-05-2012 09:53 AM

Well ahhh........ DUH........Room of . Dummmmmys ............is About All I can Say to That. LOL sometimes I'm ashamed of my own sex!

May in Jersey 11-05-2012 09:56 AM

Oh, guess there are only a few of us smarties around after all. May in Jersey

icon17 11-05-2012 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena (Post 5636585)
My friends and I , all in our 60's and 70's recently attended a cooking school given by a popular recipe magazine. I will not repeat all the snide remarks from our husbands about learning to cook at our ages!!! We said if they wanted to eat again they should keep quiet!!! Anyway we went to the event and enjoyed tasty samples, received a few free nick-nacks, laughed at the comedian, and won a years subscription to the magazine. We watched the cooking demonstrations and whispered among ourselves at what we could substitute for their very expensive ingredients. Then came the 'clincher". The speaker promised to give us the "best tip ever" to use when cooking. We waited through the whole long selling bit and finally he said to get ready to write it down. Pencils were poised, breaths held, eyes glued on him and here it came................."When you have a bit of sauce left in a jar, add a few spoons of water, shake it and you will get more out." HUH? THAT WAS THE BEST TIP EVER? My friends and I looked around at all the hundreds of women, many our age, who were frantically writing and nodding to each other and saying what a great idea. We were stunned! Doesn't everyone know this?

At the Very Least You could Have Stood and Laughed Him out of the Room!

DogHouseMom 11-05-2012 10:00 AM

I'll give you an EVEN BIGGER tip ... and it's FREE!!! You can do the same thing with cream or cheese based sauces by adding a little MILK!!!!

Have to wonder if the second class he'll give away the recipe for ice cubes.

quiltingcandy 11-05-2012 10:00 AM

When you grow up say. "Use it up, Wear it Out, Make it Do, or Do Without" you learned a lot from our family that lived through the great depression of the 1930's. I had a friend that re-used her aluminum foil. I have not done that unless it was very lightly used.

Neesie 11-05-2012 10:23 AM

:D Just think how clever, he must think he is! :D I agree with the other "DUH!" comments! I've also used liquid from the pickle relish, to get the last of the mayo from a jar (for potato or egg salad).

Vanuatu Jill 11-05-2012 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 5636670)
When you grow up say. "Use it up, Wear it Out, Make it Do, or Do Without" you learned a lot from our family that lived through the great depression of the 1930's. I had a friend that re-used her aluminum foil. I have not done that unless it was very lightly used.

I knew a lady who moved to Vanuatu and I house sat for her. I swear, she saved every twist tie, plastic bag and margarine tub for 50 years, and shipped it all over to Vanuatu. I had never seen such a hoarder! She also NEVER got rid of any clothes, and had stuff she wore 40-50 years ago. Came in handy, though, when we needed costumes for our theater company. Thing was, when you walked into her home, it looked stunning! All of it was crammed out of sight in every drawer, cupboard, and in cupboards in her very large garage. No cars could get in!!

bonitagaye 11-05-2012 10:36 AM

This is why I have quit buying magazines.....they ALL have the same tips and I read them 30-50 yeas ago and have been using them all along! I am not loving getting OLD! Quilt magazines have some new things for me, but most of them are in my old books and they keep repeating patterns with a different color!