Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Double yoke eggs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/double-yoke-eggs-t283926.html)

Annaquilts 11-21-2016 06:07 PM

We have our own chickens so it happens frequently. I think it is when chicken is a new layer.

LavenderBlue 11-21-2016 08:32 PM

I only buy jumbo eggs and there is usually one double yoker in every 12 pack. ;-)

Jane Quilter 11-21-2016 10:56 PM

I have my own chickens & many of their eggs are double yolked. It's a nice surprise to get them.

gramma nancy 11-22-2016 04:11 AM

I have seen a sign at the end of a farm lane advertising double-yolk eggs. Always wondered how they got them so consistently that they could be sure of a supply.

To the best of my recollection, I have never gotten one, but that's just as well. I limit my yolk consumption for cholesterol's sake. If I make a three egg omelet, the dogs get two of the yolks. They are always delighted.

sewnsewer2 11-22-2016 04:52 AM

I got one about 3 weeks ago. It was my 1st also.

Geri B 11-22-2016 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7703504)
Kitse, what's a chook. thank god i never had to dress a chicken and find eggs inside her. as it is, i can't eat eggs if i have to make them. grosses me out. chicken abortions.

My husband always buys the biggest eggs they offer. so maybe that explains the double yolks.

if I remember biology correctly...those eggs are not fertilized, so no chicken abortions - just good source of nourishment for mankind.

maviskw 11-22-2016 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by gramma nancy (Post 7703934)
I have seen a sign at the end of a farm lane advertising double-yolk eggs. Always wondered how they got them so consistently that they could be sure of a supply.

To the best of my recollection, I have never gotten one, but that's just as well. I limit my yolk consumption for cholesterol's sake. If I make a three egg omelet, the dogs get two of the yolks. They are always delighted.

I think we need to read about the newest thing on egg yolks. The cholesterol in the yolks is good for you IF it is eaten with the whites. A lot of things we were told a few years back is just not true. Now we are suppose to eat butter, eggs and lard. I've lost 30 pounds doing this. These things make me not feel hungry. I had no idea I was losing weight for about 6 months. That was not my goal. What I had to give up was sugar. That is what is making us all fat.

Onebyone 11-22-2016 06:03 AM

Eggs labeled free range, it's common to find double yolks. My grandmother raised chickens. After gathering the eggs, she would separate the double yolk eggs from the others. I use to check the gathered eggs for her. You uses a candle to check them. The taste of free range eggs can't be compared to the massive chicken laying houses. If I can't find local fresh eggs that get to roam and peck the grass I buy free range. Cage free doesn't mean anything so don't think you are buying from happier chickens. LOL

Geri B 11-22-2016 07:13 AM

Get my eggs from local farmers here......one also "throws" in a duck egg or two occasionally..bigger, richer tasting....

materialgrl 11-22-2016 07:15 AM

We had a little party store near us when I was younger, a lot of their eggs had double, I don't like the whites, the texture is the turn off, so I always got my eggs there, I was in heaven , lots of yellow, yummy, I eat sensible but somethings going to kill me, and I enjoy what I like, Life is to short to live it miserble. enjoy an egg, eat butter, sweets once in a while,