Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Dried Blueberries (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/dried-blueberries-t286358.html)

true4uca 02-24-2017 01:43 PM

Dried Blueberries

I make blueberry muffins using fresh berries. This week's special is dried blueberries (50% off). I'd like to try them. I use 2 cups of fresh berries, do I use the same amt. of dried berries.

Onebyone 02-24-2017 01:50 PM

The dried are more concentrated in flavor and sweetness. You can plump them in warm water before adding and they won't be as raisiny hard. I would use the same amount after plumping but it's really taster's choice.

lynnie 02-24-2017 01:52 PM

i love my muffins filled with berries so I'd add a few more.

true4uca 02-24-2017 03:38 PM

I usually put extra berries as well.

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7771642)
i love my muffins filled with berries so I'd add a few more.

true4uca 02-24-2017 03:42 PM

Oh I didn't realize I would have to replump them. I was hoping with the dried berries to not have to work so fast to avoid getting blue batter. Is there a way to avoid this. When I buy baked muffins the batter isn't blue like mine. I thought the reason was they used dried berries.

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7771638)
The dried are more concentrated in flavor and sweetness. You can plump them in warm water before adding and they won't be as raisiny hard. I would use the same amount after plumping but it's really taster's choice.

Feather3 02-24-2017 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca (Post 7771710)
Oh I didn't realize I would have to replump them. I was hoping with the dried berries to not have to work so fast to avoid getting blue batter. Is there a way to avoid this. When I buy baked muffins the batter isn't blue like mine. I thought the reason was they used dried berries.

We hand pick blueberries & freeze them. When I want to make blueberry muffins I let them thaw to room temp & then drain them really well. Mix the batter & the last thing I do is fold in the berries. I never have blue batter.

I would take the dried berries & plump them in water until soft. Then drain them really well.

Onebyone 02-24-2017 05:23 PM

You don't have to soak them, it's up to you. If you coat the fresh berries in flour before adding to the batter that helps keep the blue out of the batter. It's hard to mix with fresh berries without breaking some though.

QuiltnLady1 02-24-2017 07:30 PM

I soak them in warm water (cranberries too) to plump them before adding them to the batter. Warm water plumps them a bit faster.

Karamarie 02-25-2017 05:55 AM

I fold the blueberries in, not stir. It's a little gentler on the tender berries.

meanmom 02-25-2017 05:53 PM

I have dried blueberries and I don't see why you can't just put them in muffins. Mine are pretty small. I would probably put in half as much as for the fresh blueberries. It would be similar to adding raisins. i have never done it.