Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Easiest apple crisp recipe ever (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/easiest-apple-crisp-recipe-ever-t254522.html)

Elisabrat 10-01-2014 05:01 PM

We have a similar recipe the kids always made. sliced fresh TART apples. in bottom of a rectangular baking dish. cover with one box of white or yellow cake mix. (not made up just dry cake mix) top with one cube of melted butter drizzled all over the top. bake 30 minutes at 350. its a good sweet cobbler like dish that is wonderful topped with ice cream. I suggest the tarter the apple you use the better. a sweet apple combined with the cake mix is way way too sweet!

ptquilts 10-05-2014 04:50 AM

Does it come out like a real apple crisp (crumbly streusel topping) or is it more cake like?

I love apple crisp, one of my favorite fall things. I don't have a recipe, I just wing it. Made a small pan the other day and DH and I ate it all.

maviskw 10-06-2014 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat (Post 6911765)
We have a similar recipe the kids always made. sliced fresh TART apples. in bottom of a rectangular baking dish. cover with one box of white or yellow cake mix. (not made up just dry cake mix) top with one cube of melted butter drizzled all over the top. bake 30 minutes at 350. its a good sweet cobbler like dish that is wonderful topped with ice cream. I suggest the tarter the apple you use the better. a sweet apple combined with the cake mix is way way too sweet!

What is a "cube of butter"? I know that out west, the butter comes is short sticks. 1/4 pound per short stick. They are put into the box in different configuration than we do also. I forgot just how it is done, since I haven't been west for a few years.

Here in the midwest, we get butter in 4 inch long sticks. The measurements are marked on the paper so that you can cut off about half an inch to get one Tablespoon of butter. That works really slick and is so easy to measure, especially when you need three or five tablespoons.

Elisabrat 10-08-2014 11:48 AM

mine comes out pretty much like a regular apple crisp. and a cube of butter is the same in the west one quarter pound of butter. but think its a rectangular baking dish its is not really that much per serving. I bet you could add cheddar cheese to it which would be a great addition. going ot try that next. making one tonight so good time to find out if it works. shredded I assume.

Elisabrat 10-08-2014 11:49 AM

a drizzle of one lemon over apples might taste delicious also.. bet it would cut the sweetness of the topping. but with icecream darned its all good :)

missmay 10-15-2014 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by jumpin' judy (Post 6911237)
I've made this recipe for years. It's also great with peaches! Love, love, love it.

Me too! Got the recipe way back in 1960 when I first moved here to Jersey.

maviskw 10-22-2014 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat (Post 6920363)
a cube of butter is the same in the west one quarter pound of butter.

When we want a quarter pound of butter we call it a "stick of butter" There are four sticks of butter in the box.

SulaBug 11-17-2014 12:41 AM

Oh YUM..........this sounds so delicious & yummy.
:D :D :D :D

SouthPStitches 11-27-2014 09:29 AM

Roberta, Thanks for the recipe. I made this last week. I used Northern Spy apples. Believe next time I make it, I will add a full tsp. of cinnamon to the sugar and flour mixture, rather than just sprinkle it on top.

quiltingcandy 11-27-2014 09:42 AM

My youngest daughter loves apple crisp but wants it baked in a pie crust - yes I know that makes it apple pie, but since she was very little, I would make apple crisp (because without the crust there are a few less calories). Then she took a cooking class in Jr. High School and thought it would be good in a crust. So from that point on we make it her way.

I have been trying to get my husband to understand a natural substance like butter is so much better than the chemically manufactured products. But he looks at calories and thinks I am nuts. As long as Weight Watchers and his doctor keep pushing the food with chemicals I decided I am wasting my breath.