Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Eggs Benedict (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/eggs-benedict-t294094.html)

RJLinkletter 01-22-2018 12:51 PM

The best one is Eggs Royale. The same as Eggs benedict but smoked salmon instead of ham. My favourite Brunch when we go out :)

Stitchnripper 01-22-2018 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tothill (Post 7984481)
Blender Hollandaise sauce is easy and always works for me. I have a recipe in an old McCalls cookbook.

But if you want a real cheat, add fresh lemon juice to good quality mayo, a bit of zest too. Basically Hollandaise is a warm lemon mayo.

If doing the blender version, add barely a pinch of cayenne or hot paprika to the blender. It does not make the sauce spicy, but does enhance the flavour.

Me too! I have that old cookbook and the blender stuff tastes fine enough for us.

cashs_mom 01-22-2018 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7983977)
I swear by Knorr Hollandaise mix. It is the best! Squeeze a little fresh lemon in at the end, really brightens up the flavor. I have a special little pan for poaching eggs too. It is a regular pan for the water and an insert that goes above it with cups in it for the eggs. Technically it is steaming the egg but it works for me. I like my poached eggs to have a runny yolk, like a soft boiled egg.

I have an ancient one of those. I'd love to find another but so far no luck. They work great!

mjkgquilt 01-22-2018 03:55 PM

Mine is so old I don't remember when it was bought. I still use it occasionally. Would not part with it for all of the money in the world.

tropit 01-23-2018 05:13 AM

I LOVE eggs benedict. I don't eat it very often...it's special treat. I love it with avocado instead of ham. I use that same McCall's recipe for blender hollandaise and it always works for me. I'm not sure why some people have trouble with it. Maybe it's got something to do with temperature.

~ C

tropit 01-23-2018 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tothill (Post 7984481)
Blender Hollandaise sauce is easy and always works for me. I have a recipe in an old McCalls cookbook.

But if you want a real cheat, add fresh lemon juice to good quality mayo, a bit of zest too. Basically Hollandaise is a warm lemon mayo.

If doing the blender version, add barely a pinch of cayenne or hot paprika to the blender. It does not make the sauce spicy, but does enhance the flavour.

Love your tips. I put a dash of cayenne in mine too. I also use tofu mayo with lemon at home for a "mock hollandaise" and it's not bad. It cuts down on the fat and cholesterol. When I go out, I don't worry about it and order the real deal...yummmm!

~ C

Watson 01-23-2018 07:01 AM

Most of the time a hollandaise doesn't "work out" because it splits or separates.
If this happens, try whisking in boiling water a drop at a time until it come back together.

Watson

Macybaby 01-23-2018 12:39 PM

success! made it this weekend and it turned out really good. I am doing the method of mixing egg yolk up, and then drizzling in hot butter (200 deg) and whipping with emersion blender