Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Eggs Benedict (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/eggs-benedict-t294094.html)

Geri B 01-16-2018 06:36 AM

Eggs Benedict

..this may be old hat to most of you, but it is a new taste/cooking experience for me.. A few weeks ago, at an estate sale I picked up an egg poacher, valued at about $50, got fot$15...anyway, only having made poached eggs once or twice, the old fashioned way, many years ago, I thought why not try this! Then looked up recipe for EB...thinking must be a package mix for the hollandaise, as it sounded too intense to do early in morning. Found it at Walmart on latest shopping trip, picked up the Canadian bacon too-long time since having that too! So did it this morning...sharing with dd. She has had before, me, never! She said perfect. I just enjoyed the taste! I know I cheated with the mix, but will buy a few more packages....I bet that would be good on fish, or fresh steamed asparagus. So that's my new learning experience for today. Btw-- that little poacher made perfect eggs! Good investment...

SusieQOH 01-16-2018 06:47 AM

Egg poachers!!! My Mom always made us poached eggs when we were sick. Such a cozy memory. I'm coming over for your Eggs Benedict haha Love them!

feline fanatic 01-16-2018 06:54 AM

I swear by Knorr Hollandaise mix. It is the best! Squeeze a little fresh lemon in at the end, really brightens up the flavor. I have a special little pan for poaching eggs too. It is a regular pan for the water and an insert that goes above it with cups in it for the eggs. Technically it is steaming the egg but it works for me. I like my poached eggs to have a runny yolk, like a soft boiled egg.

Macybaby 01-16-2018 07:27 AM

I've been trying for years to get make a good hollandaise sauce. I don't try all that often - and the last time was for New Years and it was another flop. So I just put cheese over the top of the eggs/ham and DH loved it anyway.

I do like the Knorr mixes, but I really want to learn the technique.

mjkgquilt 01-16-2018 08:48 PM

There is a hollandaise sauce recipe in the cookbook that came with my Waring Blender in 1964 or 1965. Makes great hollandaise sauce.

quiltingcandy 01-16-2018 09:26 PM

I love Eggs Benedict! It's one of those things I order when we go out to breakfast because no one else in my family likes it. So I haven't even tried to make it. But I love soft boiled eggs and have the little egg cooker from QVC which makes perfect soft boiled eggs.

Tothill 01-16-2018 11:02 PM

Blender Hollandaise sauce is easy and always works for me. I have a recipe in an old McCalls cookbook.

But if you want a real cheat, add fresh lemon juice to good quality mayo, a bit of zest too. Basically Hollandaise is a warm lemon mayo.

If doing the blender version, add barely a pinch of cayenne or hot paprika to the blender. It does not make the sauce spicy, but does enhance the flavour.

quilterpurpledog 01-17-2018 02:58 AM

EB is tops on my favorites list. I have a recipe from the Joy of Cooking book that I got as a wedding shower gift-51 years ago. Still use it a lot.

JENNR8R 01-17-2018 05:27 AM

Here is the recipe I use when I want hollandaise. The real stuff doesn't last long enough and is too fussy to make.

Mock Hollandaise Sauce

1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup real mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard

Blend the ingredients, cook and stir until hot

Real Hollandaise sauce separates after about 90 minutes. This recipe tastes similar and keeps in your refrigerator for weeks. Tastes great on vegetables. Sometimes I add curry or cayenne pepper to taste as a variation

Cindy60545 01-17-2018 06:00 AM

Ooh! One of my favorite foods! I make my own sauce, but I add just a touch of horseradish to it. Not much, maybe 1/2 a teaspoon, just enough to give it a little tang & not too much to overpower anything. I use the sauce for EB, over asparagus, fish, whatever I happen to think it might work with.