Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Ever get arm burns from the oven rack? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/ever-get-arm-burns-oven-rack-t306535.html)

Onebyone 08-25-2019 07:53 AM

Ever get arm burns from the oven rack?

I hate to get kitchen burns. I saw these at Amazon and bought some. They are great and very affordable. They come in packages of three. No instructions but I figured out that cutting the third one in half covered the two oven rack edges using one long and one half. I'm buying another package for my toaster oven. I'm always getting burned on that rack. BESEGO Oven Rack Shields, Heat Resistant Silicone Oven Rack Cover Prevent Hand & Arm against Burns, Scars & Injuries - BPA Free & FDA Approved - 14 Inches Long (3Pcs Black)

They have been on my oven for a few weeks and so far work great. They twist on and twist off easy for self clean cycle. Don't forget to take them off for that. LOL

Chasing Hawk 08-25-2019 08:00 AM

My Grandson made me a nifty wooden tool in wood-shop last year. You use it to pull the rack out to check on food or when you preheat the oven. I will take a photo of it in a bit.

osewme 08-25-2019 08:30 AM

Wow, I've never seen those before. Looks like a must for the kitchen oven racks. Gosh, I sure learn a lot on this "quilting board". :)

juliasb 08-25-2019 09:07 AM

These are interesting gadgets for the oven. Let us know what you think of them if you do purchase them. I could do with a few less oven burns.

Tartan 08-25-2019 10:16 AM

​Look nifty but I buy the extra long barbecue mitts.

patski 08-25-2019 11:06 AM

I have had them for years and love them!

Barb in Louisiana 08-25-2019 11:43 AM

I haven't seen those, before but for those of us who don't have them or do and still get burns, this is a great tip for dealing with the burns. As soon as possible after burning yourself, crack a raw egg open. Discard or use the yolk in something else. Use a fork to break the egg white apart and start applying the egg white to the burn. Repeat as often as you want to. Just add more egg white on top of that which is already there. At first, it doesn't seem to be doing any good and the burn itself will still cause you pain. But within an hour or two, you will notice a difference. Often, by the next morning, you will hardly be able to tell you got burned. My daughter used this method about 5 hours after she got a bad burn from the oven. I wasn't sure if it would work after that length of time. She put the egg white on there several times that night before going to bed and was amazed that the burn was almost non-existent by the next morning.

Onebyone 08-25-2019 12:15 PM

I use a prescription Silvardene cream for burns. Stops the pain of burns and sunburn. I keep a small tub of it in the fridge. Dr. prescribed it when DH use to get welding burns. I get a fresh container every two years. My kids keep some in their fridge too.

Onebyone 08-25-2019 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8293729)
​Look nifty but I buy the extra long barbecue mitts.

I never can find mitts that fit my hands so I could have control over a hot dish. Accident waiting to happen for me using big mitts.

fruitloop 08-25-2019 05:40 PM

I ordered a set of these. I burned my arm Saturday taking a casserole out of the oven. I agree with the big mitts not fitting my hands making them hard to grasp and hold anything.