Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Ever get arm burns from the oven rack?

Ever get arm burns from the oven rack?

I hate to get kitchen burns. I saw these at Amazon and bought some. They are great and very affordable. They come in packages of three. No instructions but I figured out that cutting the third one in half covered the two oven rack edges using one long and one half. I'm buying another package for my toaster oven. I'm always getting burned on that rack. BESEGO Oven Rack Shields, Heat Resistant Silicone Oven Rack Cover Prevent Hand & Arm against Burns, Scars & Injuries - BPA Free & FDA Approved - 14 Inches Long (3Pcs Black)

They have been on my oven for a few weeks and so far work great. They twist on and twist off easy for self clean cycle. Don't forget to take them off for that. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

My Grandson made me a nifty wooden tool in wood-shop last year. You use it to pull the rack out to check on food or when you preheat the oven. I will take a photo of it in a bit.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Wow, I've never seen those before. Looks like a must for the kitchen oven racks. Gosh, I sure learn a lot on this "quilting board".

Blog Entries
    These are interesting gadgets for the oven. Let us know what you think of them if you do purchase them. I could do with a few less oven burns.

Power Poster
    ​Look nifty but I buy the extra long barbecue mitts.

Blog Entries
    I have had them for years and love them!
    Patski
    always learning

I haven't seen those, before but for those of us who don't have them or do and still get burns, this is a great tip for dealing with the burns. As soon as possible after burning yourself, crack a raw egg open. Discard or use the yolk in something else. Use a fork to break the egg white apart and start applying the egg white to the burn. Repeat as often as you want to. Just add more egg white on top of that which is already there. At first, it doesn't seem to be doing any good and the burn itself will still cause you pain. But within an hour or two, you will notice a difference. Often, by the next morning, you will hardly be able to tell you got burned. My daughter used this method about 5 hours after she got a bad burn from the oven. I wasn't sure if it would work after that length of time. She put the egg white on there several times that night before going to bed and was amazed that the burn was almost non-existent by the next morning.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I use a prescription Silvardene cream for burns. Stops the pain of burns and sunburn. I keep a small tub of it in the fridge. Dr. prescribed it when DH use to get welding burns. I get a fresh container every two years. My kids keep some in their fridge too.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​Look nifty but I buy the extra long barbecue mitts.
    I never can find mitts that fit my hands so I could have control over a hot dish. Accident waiting to happen for me using big mitts.

I ordered a set of these. I burned my arm Saturday taking a casserole out of the oven. I agree with the big mitts not fitting my hands making them hard to grasp and hold anything.

Blog Entries
    I didn't like the reviews. and they say good up to 446F in oven. sometimes we cook higher than that. think I'll pass.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    I wish I knew of these before my right arm is awfully marked up from burns on the oven racks. My new double oven I have not had the issue but may still order just to be safe. Thanks for posting about these guards.
    ​Christine

Why haven't I ever heard of these? My solution was an oven that had a feature that allowed the bottom shelf to slide out when ever you opened the oven door. No more burning myself on the upper shelf. A costly solution, but I needed a new stove any way!

That looks like it may work. But if you do get burned, be sure to have some Aloe Vera on hand. Not the gel you can buy in the store, but the plant. The actual plant is what works on minor burns. I cut off a section of leaf, cut it open to expose the gel, and gently rub it on a burn. It doesn't take away the pain instantly, but in a short time, I forget I have a burn. The next morning I can hardly find it.

For minor sunburn, this is fantastic. The next morning I have a light tan.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

All the time! I have offered to stop cooking meals but that didn’t go over very well! Also on the iron.. I Am anxious to check this out!

Sorry about not posting this the other night....Grand kids arrived home yesterday after being at their Mom's for two months.

This is my oven rack puller/pusher my Grand son Micheal made in Woodshop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Blog Entries
    Every oven I 've ever bought first thing I do is remove one of the oven racks,,And I have a set of Mittens that I can get things out of the oven and won't let you burn you're hands they are the Bomb

I have a set of these. Have saved my arm many times. They are easy and fast to take off and put back on if needed. I have many different oven mitts that work great but usually don't use them except for big pans like a roaster. Other daily pans are small and pot holders give me more grip control. For under $8 if I forget and turn the oven too hot who cares.

Just ordered them. Thank you

Thank you. I've just ordered them too. No more mustard smeared on fresh burns.

My arms are a network of scars from working in the kitchen...most of them clear up within a few months, but I have a few that are years old and still fading.

I use a big heavy rubber pair of oven mitts at work....they're awkward, but I get used to them after a while. If I need more dexterity, we also have cotton/polyester knit gloves, like the ones you wear in winter, only with a looser weave. Three or four pairs of those with food handler's gloves on top and I am good to lift rotisserie chickens straight out of the oven and slide them into their bags.

For burns, we keep a vial of vitamin e softgels. snip one open and smear it on. for serious burns it takes actual burn cream, but the vitamin e will clear minor burns (and sunburn) up easily.

Where have you been all my life? I spent 25 years as a chef and have the burns to prove it. Now that I'm no longer working, I discover these!
    Off to buy some for home, at least!

Watson