Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Flat Crispers or Elephant Ears or ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/flat-crispers-elephant-ears-t213364.html)

LenaBeena 02-09-2013 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 5849219)
I looked up elephant ear receipe on google and most of them were fried. I thought what I had liked at the bakeries were pastries that were rolled thin, buttered, folded, rolled again, and again, many, many times and finally baked very sweet, sprinked with cinnamon and sugar. What were the ones like that you like to eat? I remember these being about the size of a dessert plate 6-8 inches and oh, so flakey and light and crispy.

Yes, these are very similar and not fried. Also pecans are in the filling. I will try the baked recipe and let you all know how it turns out. :)

NanaCsews2 02-09-2013 09:45 PM

We used to make our elephant ears out of leftover pie crust dough. My mother always made sure there was a lot of dough left over after a day of making pies. We used hickory nuts in the dough. The crust was rolled out thin, brushed with melted butter, and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. The little scraps of dough were rolled and made into cinnamon sticks. They were baked at 350 degrees for about 10 min. The nuts were put into the dough because they would usually fall off the pastries. After getting married, DH and I continued this tradition that his family also did. And now it is a real treat making these for our grandkids.

Pollytink 02-09-2013 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 (Post 5850893)
We used to make our elephant ears out of leftover pie crust dough. My mother always made sure there was a lot of dough left over after a day of making pies.

I'm almost 80 and that's what my mom used to do.....she'd just put cinnamon and sugar on them tho....adding nuts sound delicious, altho they were pretty good as is!

tesspug 02-09-2013 11:38 PM

What I know as Elephant Ears are actually large Plamiers. Puff pastry is used rather than pie crust. This recipe calls for store bought pastry to make it simple. If you make your own you'll be rolling dough all day. http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...elephant_ears/

DianaSwi 02-10-2013 04:10 AM

Elephant ears-

I have heard of people taking frozen bread dough and cutting it thawed into sections rolling it out and deep frying it and adding their topings..OR corn burrito wraps and deep frying them,,they get nice and crispy..adding cinn and sugar..
Diana

Geri B 02-10-2013 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Up North (Post 5849252)
We have what is called elephant ears when we make them we use bread dough rolled thin and deep fried sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

I buy frozen bread dough, slice it flatten it, and fry as above.........I also buy those cylinders of dinner rolls, cut them into fours, roll into a ball,deep fry, powder sugar, cinnamon, or frosting and you have donut holes.........quick and easy for a sweet tooth moment

lclang 02-10-2013 06:20 AM

Make regular cinnamon rolls and then use cinnamon sugar on your counter or cutting board and roll them flat in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Put them on a oiled cookie sheet and bake. YUMMY!

Donna P 02-10-2013 06:53 AM

I just make my own...I use 6-8" soft taco shells and deep fry them in about 2" of good oil take them out drain on paper towels while they are still hot sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon mix. The smaller shells after i sprinkle them I right away while they are still warm place them in cupcake pans til they cool then fill with ice cream...yummmm...or after they are sprinkles with the sugar mix I put hot cooked apples on the shells and roll them up great for deserts or snacks.....with them ideas are endless.

Dakota Rose 02-10-2013 02:39 PM

It has been years since I have made these but the dough was not pie dough or puff pastry. Don't even know if I still have the recipe. After rolling the dough flat and sprinkling cinnamon and sugar on it you roll it jelly roll style and then cut in slices of about 1/2 to 3/4 in. Take each slice and roll the rolling pin over it until thin. Let it rise and then do this again sprinkling more sugar and cinn. before flattening again. These were baked and when done (while hot) sprinkle with more cinn. and sugar. Since they were rather flaky texture I don't think it was bread dough. My mother always had left over pie crust that she cut in strips, made one or two twists in the strip, sprinkled with cinn. & sugar and baked until lightly brown. Always looked forward to those since we didn't have to wait for dessert to have those. Got the right out of the oven!! Think my recipe came from the Southern Living magazine maybe back in the 70's.

tatavw01 02-10-2013 06:11 PM

how about angel wings!!!