Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Flat Crispers or Elephant Ears or ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/flat-crispers-elephant-ears-t213364.html)

Iwantasew 02-10-2013 08:04 PM

Here is my recipe for Crispies
1 package yeast
1/4 cup warm water
4 cups flour
1 cup melted shortening (butter,oleo or crisco)
1 cup sour milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

SUGAR MIXTURE - 2 cups sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon
Put yeast in water, add rest of ingredients. Cover and put in the refrigerator for 2 hour to 2 days. Divide in half. Sprinkle 1/4 of the sugar mixture on pastry cloth. Roll out dough as for cinnamon rolls. Put 1/4 of sugar mixture on dough. Roll up and slice in 1" slices. Toll flat and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

judy363905 02-10-2013 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by lclang (Post 5851285)
Make regular cinnamon rolls and then use cinnamon sugar on your counter or cutting board and roll them flat in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Put them on a oiled cookie sheet and bake. YUMMY!

Yes when I baked at the local supermarket this is how we made them. Called them cinnamon crispies :)

Judy in Phz, AZ

Dee 02-10-2013 09:00 PM

The way we make them in our family-we call them crisp's.

Make crust like for pie crust. then put sugar, sprinkle cinnamon and fine chopped nuts to fill crust. Crust is about 4" round or square. You can roll it or leave them flat. Bake in oven about 6 minutes at 350. Or until lite tan. We love them.

LenaBeena 02-11-2013 07:01 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas and recipes: Plamiers, Beaver Tails, Crispies, baked with yeast, using purchased bread dough, corn burritos, taco shells, pie crust - seems these treats are enjoyed by many of you. I will try some of these recipes and have a dear friend help me taste test. Always good to have a second opinion.
Forgot to ask if any of these have cholesterol or calories - probably not :)

SewExtremeSeams 02-11-2013 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena (Post 5853659)
Thanks for all the great ideas and recipes: Plamiers, Beaver Tails, Crispies, baked with yeast, using purchased bread dough, corn burritos, taco shells, pie crust - seems these treats are enjoyed by many of you. I will try some of these recipes and have a dear friend help me taste test. Always good to have a second opinion.
Forgot to ask if any of these have cholesterol or calories - probably not :)

Oh, I don't think so, if they came from the Quilting Board members:D:D:D

My time 02-11-2013 06:53 PM

Yum, yum yum. I love fried or baked bread dough! I have never tried these. We do have something similar in western Canada. We call them "Horse Blankets".

craftymatt2 02-16-2013 06:20 PM

Everyone i seen made at the fairs, are always fried, then sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon, and the receipe i have is for fried, and yummy, i have also made them small, been making these for years.