Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Fruit Cake (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/fruit-cake-t255045.html)

KatFish 10-11-2014 10:28 AM

This sounds yummy! I'll have to try this out. My Mom makes some fruit cake cookies, but it's been years since I had a good fruit cake.

FroggyinTexas 10-11-2014 03:10 PM

After reading all the posts, I am so pleased to know that other like fruitcake! I always order mine from Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana, Texas. They come in a tin that I keep in the freezer and take out one small slice at a time for comfort food! froggyintexas

MaryKatherine 10-12-2014 04:26 AM

This week I will make my fruit cake for......next winter.
I age mine for a year after soaking it a few time in rum. Next week, after all the turkey, apple pie and pumpkin pies are gone I will break out last year's cake. I make mine directly into those decorative cookie tins, lined with parchment. They are cooked at such a low temp the cookie tins are fine. Storage is great and instant gifts are in cold storage.

fayeberry 10-12-2014 10:38 AM

I love fruitcake, too, as does my family. But I have learned not to give it to others as it seems most people hate it. To expensive and time consuming to make to risk having it trashed.

Latrinka 10-12-2014 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by fayeberry (Post 6925850)
I love fruitcake, too, as does my family. But I have learned not to give it to others as it seems most people hate it. To expensive and time consuming to make to risk having it trashed.

Yeah, they have to be fruitcake worthy! LOL! My mom likes it, I've eaten some, but not my favorite. She used to make fruitcake cookies, and I loved them though! They certainly are expensive to make, everything is these days!

NC Suzi 10-13-2014 09:54 AM

I only made fruitcake ONCE. It is time consuming and expensive, but well worth it - you ladies are right - commercial stuff just ain't the same! Thanks for posting - it's a great reminder that Thanksgiving and Christmas will be here before we know it.

Abby'smom 10-16-2014 05:58 AM

:p what a great idea -- I never thought of using the basic banana nut bread recipe and adding the fruit/nuts -- thank you for a good idea to try!!

mountain-moma 10-16-2014 06:43 PM

I too love fruitcake recipe sounds yummy

Geri B 10-17-2014 05:34 AM

Got to try the banana mix as base......

Sew Krazy Girl 10-18-2014 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 6923202)
I put my fruit to soak in bourbon the day after Halloween--three weeks later I bake the cakes and allow them to age. Goodness! It's almost that time!

I too soak my candied fruit in bourbon or brandy. This, of course, is done weeks in advance. Now is also a good time to buy the candied fruit for use on my Easter Bread although I don't soak it but just store it in the fridge. It's not so easy to get the candied fruit in the Spring. After baking the fruitcake I let it soak again in bourbon until it's just right. I like to add lots of walnuts, almonds and pecans. Not sure if that's traditional but I get no complaints.