Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   This goes in recipes thread but I don't know how to post it there! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/goes-recipes-thread-but-i-dont-know-how-post-there-t265110.html)

Helen6869 05-13-2015 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by lclang (Post 7194084)
If you have a hospital or rest home near you ask if you can speak to their dietitian. Often they will help you without charge if the need is just for suggestions.

This sounds like a really helpful idea. Actually, my sweet dgd is going to be a dietitian but not until next May!! haha! I think I will ask her to look up some ideas for me. In her spare time, since she only has a live-in boyfriend and a 18 mo little one!! lol! Thanks again!

Helen6869 05-13-2015 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 7193729)
I'm thinking that if your doctor prescribed this diet for you, he must be associated with a hospital that has registered dieticians on staff who could help you with this difficult diet plan. Call the office and ask for a referral. Also, in the HyVee grocery stores here in the Midwest there are registered dieticians employed who can help people with their nutrition needs. Ask around in your area, surely there is a similar service available. I know that my DD was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and her doctor told her specifically not to look on the internet at the supposed diet cures for this problem because none of that has any real effect. Most of that is just selling books.

I live in a really small town, which only has two grocery stores and neither has an actual healthfood section and very few organic foods. It's really tough to shop out of town and get non GMO foods etc. But I am at that point. I just wish we had a Health Faire nearby. My sister shops there and it's great. Thanks again for the help.

Lady Diana 05-13-2015 08:39 AM

High protein might be a good idea.....tuna salad....egg salad? I would check back with you doctor to see if your problem really is IBS, gluten or dairy. All of these ailments have diets that are 180 degrees from one another. My husband had stomach problems that a high count probiotic solved. We are not gastrointerologists, so check with your doctor on diet info after they determine your need.

Helen6869 05-13-2015 10:23 AM

Yep. back to doc on the 26th after two CT scans, ultrasound, HIDA scan, colonoscopy, and stool samples are back. Nothing showed up so far so that is really good news!! Just had to go on limited foods to survive. Taking a probiotic and can start adding dairy back in and see how that goes.
I really just wanted to know I guess, what your go-to lunch ideas are for you and your hubby. I just run out of things to fix for us. We have tuna fish about once a week (he's not fond of it) and leftovers from dinner. Just wondering what others do for a quick meal at noon time! Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. I am a work-in-progress as they say! Hope I'm done soon!! haha! Thank you and God bless you guys. You are the best!!

notmorecraft 05-13-2015 11:03 AM

I have had IBS FOR OVER 25 years, my biggest triggers are white bread, pizza and white pasta, and stress, whole meal bread and pasta is fine, I eat a lot of salmon, chicken, prawns, with veg, salad lots of fruit, potatoes are fine, so is rice. As long as I stay away from white processed foods I'm pretty good.

Helen6869 05-13-2015 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by notmorecraft (Post 7194510)
I have had IBS FOR OVER 25 years, my biggest triggers are white bread, pizza and white pasta, and stress, whole meal bread and pasta is fine, I eat a lot of salmon, chicken, prawns, with veg, salad lots of fruit, potatoes are fine, so is rice. As long as I stay away from white processed foods I'm pretty good.

Sounds like you are able to handle a lot of fiber. I hope I can gradually add it back in but for right now, it's not suiting my tummy. Yep, I eat lots of chicken, salmon but the raw veggies don't suit either. Thank you for your advice. It's tough figuring all this out, isn't it? I had my first beef last night since Christmas time! I have missed it. I used to be quite the meat eater but am learning to eat more soluble fiber veggies and less meat at each meal. All a learning process! Thanks again! have a great day.

Helen6869 05-13-2015 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by notmorecraft (Post 7194510)

I am kind of surprised to hear that about the white bread. Is it the gluten in it? or do you know what it is? I can handle it just fine. Better than whole wheat although I try to eat the whole wheat for fiber. Thanks!

Maggiemay 05-13-2015 11:34 AM

How about soup for lunch? You could take many of the low fiber veggies you can eat along with some pasta, broth, chicken & seasonings. I love having soup on hand for lunch.

sailsablazin 05-13-2015 07:01 PM

I am the "allergy queen" full of knowledge. My DH has been gluten and dairy free for the past 30+ years.
If you suspect an allergy. Stay off of the item (all aspects of it----look for the word "casein" if you are trying to check for dairy).----stay off of the item for 7 days then "sock it to yourself." In the case of dairy-----on the 8th day eat yogurt, ice cream, milk, creamed soups, anything with dairy in it.... Then wait 48 hours for any effects...
Tested our young son for a dairy allergy and by the 4th hour on the first day of eating dairy, he ended up in the bathroom in bad shape. SO---no dairy for him unless he eat LACTAID first.

As for lunches, what about turkey roll-ups...or applesauce, fruit, chicken salad, egg salad, taco meat in pita bread, any leftovers from dinner the night before???

Helen6869 05-14-2015 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin (Post 7194931)
I am the "allergy queen" full of knowledge. My DH has been gluten and dairy free for the past 30+ years.
If you suspect an allergy. Stay off of the item (all aspects of it----look for the word "casein" if you are trying to check for dairy).----stay off of the item for 7 days then "sock it to yourself." In the case of dairy-----on the 8th day eat yogurt, ice cream, milk, creamed soups, anything with dairy in it.... Then wait 48 hours for any effects...
Tested our young son for a dairy allergy and by the 4th hour on the first day of eating dairy, he ended up in the bathroom in bad shape. SO---no dairy for him unless he eat LACTAID first.

As for lunches, what about turkey roll-ups...or applesauce, fruit, chicken salad, egg salad, taco meat in pita bread, any leftovers from dinner the night before???

Gosh! I really don't want to sock it to myself and get what I get if I do eat the wrong thing!! yikes! haha! Thanks for the lunch suggestions. I should have asked if people have a "favorite" lunch meal they could share. I am really looking for new ideas.....ie, new foods I guess! lol! So tired of the same old things because of the small list of items that he likes and the even smaller list that I can eat. Thanks for you ideas though. Just ready to resolve this mystery in my life!!