Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
This goes in recipes thread but I don't know how to post it there! >

This goes in recipes thread but I don't know how to post it there!

This goes in recipes thread but I don't know how to post it there!

Old 05-12-2015, 08:37 AM

Question This goes in recipes thread but I don't know how to post it there!

I am always stumped as to what to fix for hubby's and my lunch every day. I am on a really restricted diet with no dairy and low-fiber and low-fat. It's tough. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! Love this board!
Old 05-12-2015, 09:08 AM

That does not leave much beside water. Try your public library, checking out just about any cookbook that has Paleo in the title or description, and there are a lot. The ones by Mark Sisson come to mind first. He is very much against the starches and beans, and as a child of the MidSouth, I was raised on beans, greens, cornbread, and catfish. In my view, these paleo recipes are not one size fits all, adapt to fit what is best for you. I've gone back over and over to his recipe for beef roast (substituting pork) and onions using coconut oil in a cast iron pot in the oven, cook on low for 3 hours, alternating covered and uncovered, a lot of rosemary in the spices. I think some of the cookbooks are pumped out just to fill a market niche, Paleo and Gluten-free being buzz words right now, but some are wonderful resources. Against All Grain is also a good book, think it is by Denise Walker. I see people going into Dairy Queen and McD asking for hamburgers wrapped in lettuce, leave off the bread.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
That does not leave much beside water. Try your public library, checking out just about any cookbook that has Paleo in the title or description, and there are a lot. The ones by Mark Sisson come to mind first. He is very much against the starches and beans, and as a child of the MidSouth, I was raised on beans, greens, cornbread, and catfish. In my view, these paleo recipes are not one size fits all, adapt to fit what is best for you. I've gone back over and over to his recipe for beef roast (substituting pork) and onions using coconut oil in a cast iron pot in the oven, cook on low for 3 hours, alternating covered and uncovered, a lot of rosemary in the spices. I think some of the cookbooks are pumped out just to fill a market niche, Paleo and Gluten-free being buzz words right now, but some are wonderful resources. Against All Grain is also a good book, think it is by Denise Walker. I see people going into Dairy Queen and McD asking for hamburgers wrapped in lettuce, leave off the bread.
Thank you for the input. We think I have IBS which eliminates so many foods that it is difficult! I have requested several cookbooks from the library mostly for this problem. Just at a loss sometimes as to what to fix since hubby is ok with most anything but will only eat certain things. I am basically on noodles, bananas, rice and white bread. I don't think gluten is my problem since that's what I've been eating since I came off dairy. I really don't think dairy is my problem either. I think it is mainly going to be raw veggies (which I love), and high fiber stuff.....including nuts, seedy-things, skins on stuff, and many, many green things. Like you said, "mostly water!" haha! Thanks again. have a good day!
Old 05-12-2015, 11:14 AM

oh and of course, NOTHING fried.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

Tomato toasted sandwich. There is a little fiber in the tomato but not much. Can you have the fat from avacadoes? if so guacamole is tasty. How about humis with toasted pita bread triangles. There is a little fiber in humis but it is broken down with the processing. All lean meats like roasted skinless chicken breast, eye of round roast beef sliced thin for sandwiches.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:06 PM

I'm thinking that if your doctor prescribed this diet for you, he must be associated with a hospital that has registered dieticians on staff who could help you with this difficult diet plan. Call the office and ask for a referral. Also, in the HyVee grocery stores here in the Midwest there are registered dieticians employed who can help people with their nutrition needs. Ask around in your area, surely there is a similar service available. I know that my DD was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and her doctor told her specifically not to look on the internet at the supposed diet cures for this problem because none of that has any real effect. Most of that is just selling books.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:25 PM

I too have been bothered with IBS most of my life. Have you ever heard of Heather's Tummy Fiber? It has been a life-saver for me. She has a website and you can sign up for a newsletter to tell what the latest research says about IBS. I order from both Amazon and Iherb.com. I can eat many foods that would bother other suffers of IBS, but I carefully read all labels, trying to avoid MSG, Sulfites, and anything that says "Natural Flavors", which can hide MSG.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:44 AM

If you have a hospital or rest home near you ask if you can speak to their dietitian. Often they will help you without charge if the need is just for suggestions.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
I am always stumped as to what to fix for hubby's and my lunch every day. I am on a really restricted diet with no dairy and low-fiber and low-fat. It's tough. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! Love this board!
My friend's daughter has occasional stomach discomfort, so she tried the Whole 30 plan where you eliminate
processed foods, flour, dairy, etc. She said she did feel better but from what I understand, you start adding back foods to see which is the culprit for her discomfort. I don't believe she was ever able to identify the source of her issue. But the plan did result in her changing a lot of her dietary habits to eat generally healthier. There's a lot of info on the internet about whole 30.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
I too have been bothered with IBS most of my life. Have you ever heard of Heather's Tummy Fiber? It has been a life-saver for me. She has a website and you can sign up for a newsletter to tell what the latest research says about IBS. I order from both Amazon and Iherb.com. I can eat many foods that would bother other suffers of IBS, but I carefully read all labels, trying to avoid MSG, Sulfites, and anything that says "Natural Flavors", which can hide MSG.
I use the peppermint tea from Heather''s site. It does help. I am actually better than I've been in monthes. I guess I should have posted a question like "what's your favorite go-to lunch meal for you and hubby?" That's really what I was after was ideas for lunches as we get so tired of sandwiches and they are not good all the time. So, missed the point I was trying to make I think. Thanks for the info though. I appreciate everyone's input. Keep it coming if you have further suggestions for me. God bless you all!