Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   HELP! Hard boiled eggs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/help-hard-boiled-eggs-t279066.html)

sew_southern 05-30-2016 03:13 PM

I bake my eggs in a muffin pan. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes, set the timer, then put into a bowl of ice water for about 15 minutes. Perfectly cooked and shells come off with no problems! I was skeptic at first, now I won't boil again. :)

weegrannie 05-31-2016 05:33 AM

after boiling I run the egg under cold water then tap top and bottom until slightly cracked or crushed, roll between my palms for a few moments .......peels off almost in one piece...works every time for me.

Wonnie 05-31-2016 05:51 AM

put in. pan...add cold water to cover...add 1 tsp. of salt and 1 Tblsp. of vinegar...bring to a boil....let boil for 2 minutes...remove from burner...add lid ....let sit covered for 20 minutes...pour off hot water...put in sink and run cold tap water over eggs constantly for 5 minutes (works better for me than putting in ice bath but I don't know why)...crack SMALL end of egg first then roll on counter to crack rest of egg...start peeling from short end...remove egg shell from small end first then gently squeeze egg and, most of the time the shell and membrane will separate and I peel a strip down side of egg...sometimes the whole shell will pop off but, if not, it loosens the rest of the shell.
works for me. Good Luck!

Dodee 05-31-2016 07:49 AM

This is excellent, I feel. After you boil the eggs and cool them down, take a jar with lid, add about 1/4 cup water, add several eggs, and shake jar hard. Shells just pull right off.

jjs56 05-31-2016 11:58 AM

The baking soda worked! Easy, peasy! Thanks to all.

gramquilter2 05-31-2016 12:00 PM

Put the eggs in the ice bath as soon as they come off the stove. Pressure pots make the BEST boiled eggs.

maviskw 05-31-2016 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7562694)
How funny..I've heard the fresher the egg, like farm fresh, the harder to peel.....

You are correct. Eggs only a day or two old will be very difficult to peel. If you want to hard cook your eggs, let them sit on the counter for a day or two.

Fresh eggs are eggs that are not cooked. As someone said, those in the store could be six months old.

The last ones I hard cooked, I rolled them to crack the shells as they were in the cooling water. Peeled beautifully, but they were store bought eggs.

Eggs can be kept at room temperature for weeks if they have never been refrigerated. We did that on the boat. You just need to turn them over each day. That's what mother hen does. She turns her eggs over and over until she has enough to sit on. That's why all the chicks hatch on the same day when they were laid one a day for a week or more.

JT 06-03-2016 08:29 PM

The best luck I have is bring the eggs to a boil in salted water. After it boils good for a minute, I turn the burner off and put a lid on the pan. I set my timer for 18 minutes. Once the timer goes off, I take it to the sink and drain and fill with cold water, water turns very warm, drain add more cold water and then dump the ice in and fill it up. I pretty much empty my ice machine from the fridge. Later check that they are cold, dry them off and put in the fridge. Shells come off great.

romanojg 06-05-2016 05:49 AM

let eggs come to room temp, put tons of salt in the water and a dash of vinegar. When water comes to a boil, turn off pot and let sit for 10 min with lid on. Drain, shake gently to crack the shells and run cold water over them. and let sit. The salt really helps, the vinegar helps if you get a crack in your egg, instead of having this runny stuff all thru the water, it gels the egg and stops it from running so much.The cracking and cold water allows the water to get under the egg shell and losen it up. Plus this technique helps get rid of that dark green circle around the yolk

gale 06-07-2016 10:43 AM

I just did 14 eggs that were laid in the past 2-3 days. Steamed in the ninja and all of them peeling easily so far. Some I just crack and the peels came off in one big piece. And I don't peel them right away. I prefer not to.

eta: the dark green circle is due to overcooking. It can happen with any cooking method and the best way to avoid it is to not overcook.